2014 NAs

This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Jonathan Nye 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Any planning going on?

Jim Saylor
    Participant

I’d love to. Need a boat, Have sails & crew…

Curt Rodgers
    Participant

Where are they being held this year?

Dave Savard
    Participant

We need to agree on an Event/Venue…. Any propositions? We had some discussions about Lake Champlain last summer but nothing clear.

Panther, Organized Chaos, O Naturel, IG, Ritalin, Flying Monkeys and Bad Dog we need some feedback from you! Are you interested in racing the NAs this year?

I Know that Old School and Wreaking Havoc has been sold last year. But I don’t know what’s going on with these boats.

Dave.

Joe
    Participant

If you do come to Lake Champlain there are two boats that are not raced on the lake. If we were to race I know that we would not be competitive (but we would race and have a good time with everybody who show up). The other boat I don’t know much about other than I have never seen them on a race course. If cost of launch/hauling is a concern the Malletts Bay Boat Club has a 3 ton hoist for members and member’s guests.

Dave Savard
    Participant

Is there any event on lake champlain with a serious race comitee that we can register the O30 class in?

Joe
    Participant

First, I am a member at the Malletts Bay Boat Club (MBBC). MBBC has hosted many national level class regattas over the years. The boats are usually smaller (big lightning fleet). They host big lightning events every year. Just looking through race results this year they also hosted the Shark24 nationals. I know that they have hosted buccaneer nationals as well in the past few years. As for a large regatta that is not just a dozen O30’s sailing around buoys, every year there is the Mayors Cup in Plattsburgh NY ~15 miles from MBBC. There are three main sailing clubs on the lake. MBBC, Lake Champlain Yacht Club (LCYC) and Valcour Sailing Club (VSC). MBBC and LCYC each host a long distance race. Lake Champlain Race hosted by MBBC is 62 miles and the Commodore Macdonough Race, 73 miles, is hosted by LCYC. This past year the Lake Champlain Race was in early July and the Macdonough was in September. In early October MBBC hosts the Benedict Arnold race (12.25 miles). By early October it could be cold on the water, though it could also be in the 70’s. The foliage is usually quite spectacular at that time of year. I am sure that MBBC could do a great job hosting a regatta for the class if desired. I know that for NA’s a long distance race plus some buoy races are the traditional format. A couple days of W/L races followed by or preceded by one of the long distance races would probably be a lot of fun. If the class is interested and really considering Lake Champlain I could contact the racing committee at MBBC to see what would need to be done to proceed with adding O30 NA’s to the calendar.

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Lake Champlain coudl be fun but haven’t found an existing event to tag along with. The Mayor’s Cup looks like it’s a one race/one day of sailing affair. Anything else?

Has the site of the 2014 LYRA Annual Regatta been announced? Anything worth thinking about out of Rochester, Youngstown, Bayview, Sarnia, Kingston?

terry webster
    Participant

how about we do the N/As at the new Can-Am regatta in Youngstown New York

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

If the Can-Am (http://www.yyc.org/index.php/sailing/can-am-challenge/) is only 2 days is this enough racing for people? Seems borderline for anyone coming from any distance.

terry webster
    Participant

Planning is still at an early stage I could contact Finkle and see about having a long distance race on Friday

terry webster
    Participant

Another option is Bath just outside of Kingston. Great area for sailing. I am sure they would accommodate us as I have mentioned the N/As to them before and they seemed willing

terry webster
    Participant

would anyone like me to pursue Bath or Youngstown

Derek Lay
    Participant

Sorry gents, I’ve been away and haven’t had a chance to weigh in.

I also received the Can-Am e-mail from YYC, and was going to propose it as a strong contender for the Nationals site. YYC does a great job of handling an event weekend, and the focus on OD fleets should make for a good regatta. If we still want an LD race as part of the Nationals (as stated in my e-mails last summer, I’m of two minds given that some of the boats have stayed away in the past when open-water overnight LDs were proposed), there will likely be a LYRA feeder race to ABYC on Monday that could be leveraged.

A word of caution for Youngstown – we intended to do the levels last year as a work-up to LYRA and found that accommodations on both the US and Canadian side were booked up even 2-3 months before the regatta. If we choose to go with the Can-Am option, book early.

As a KYC member with a reasonable level of experience in the Kingston/Bath area, I would recommend against it as a site for the Nationals. The area is a great sailing venue, but the lack of decent infrastructure means that something as simple as launch/haul can significantly increase the cost of a regatta. Neither the crane at KYC nor the city crane can handle an O30, and the last time I discussed hauling at Collins Bay they wanted over $350 for a one-way lift.

If a mid-summer date is an issue for people, another option that I can explore is leveraging the NOD (Nepean One Design) regatta at NSC (our other club) in Ottawa [last year’s NOR – http://nod.nsc.ca/notice-race%5D. It is generally held in late June, and is well attended with 98 keel boats and dinghies racing last year. While slightly larger than the Barrie regatta a couple of years ago, the atmosphere is similar, the club facilities are excellent, and the entry fees are very reasonable. With two 5-Ton cranes on site, there wouldn’t be a problem getting people in and out of the water. While it is traditionally a two-day regatta, I’m sure that we could arrange a mid-distance race on the Friday if desired. Camping is available on site, and there is an entire National Capital full of other options for those who prefer to have a roof.

I have many of the e-mail addresses for the local boats, and am willing to fire out a few e-mails to try to catch those who don’t monitor the site. What I don’t have is any experience with online polls or votes if we want to go that way. Does anyone have the technology?

Derek

Dave Savard
    Participant

Hi Derek,

Glad to see that there are many Clubs that could potentially host the Noth Americans. Concerning the vote, I think that we have to agree on a system first. Here is a few idea that may help:

– To avoid vote dilution, no more that 2 sites should be chosen for election.
    – The voting system should not consider 2nd choices:
    Boats can only vote for their 1st choice.
    – We need to have commitement to garantee success of the event:
    Boats that voted for the winning site must commit by paying the registration fee.
    – At least 5 boats must register and pay for the NAC to happen.

I also think that we should keep the LD race but make it shorter.Let’s say around 30 miles and during the day before the 1st day of course raceing, no overnighters (ex.: on Thursday). The LD should also be dropable and have the same wheight as the other Short Course races. In this way people that don’t like LD races or don’t want to show up on thursday still can compete for the George Olson Memorial Trophy.

Any Thoughts?

Dave
    Hull #165

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Sounds like a plan. I can’t make the June NOD event so my vote would be for the Can-AMs ideally with a Friday mid-distance day race. A quick look at accomodations suggests that yes, that could be an issue. Any thought that the new format will result in fewer boats/more housing?

terry webster
    Participant

there were a lot of B&Bs near by Youngstown also at Niagara on the lake,as long as we book early should be no problem

Derek Lay
    Participant

Terry – agreed. Accommodations are slightly easier to get to on the Canadian side, but we found that the slips at NOLSC were also spoken for very early and should be factored into any bookings. If the Youngstown regatta is chosen, we (Organized Chaos) will probably look to the Niagara-on-the-lake side, and commute across to YYC for the events.

Dave – acknowledged. This forum is the best gauge of interest and intent for now, but once we are ready for a vote I agree that whittling down the options makes sense.

All – Dave brings up another good point. We decided last summer that we wouldn’t call an event the NAs unless we had an acceptable level of participation. A minimum quorum of 5 boats was agreed to by the participating skippers, but the decision has not yet been put out for endorsement and/or ratification. Are there any strong feelings on minimum participation from anyone?

With respect to LYRA, it is being hosted by Ashbridge’s Bay Yacht Club (ABYC) in Toronto from 26 July to 3 August. It has the advantage of being a known commodity, with excellent event management. The organizers of the 2013 event were willing to give us an OD start for any number of boats, down to the three that showed up, although we opted to compete with the IRC class instead. LYRA is the host for the 2014 IRC North American Championships, although I’m not certain that we would qualify for it if we entered as an OD class. From a racing perspective, we accepted the standard three-day course racing format last year. We could either maintain that status quo, plan our own LD race Friday and join the course racing Sat-Sun (losing the ability to compete for the overall LYRA trophies), or find another hybrid solution that meets our overall intent.

The list below is a quick summary of what seems to have been proposed to date. Please flesh it out, add to it, or correct entries as required to develop an inclusive list:

Venue; Event; Dates; Notes
    Youngstown; Can-Am Challenge; End July; Must add a LD race on Friday
    Ottawa; NOD; End June; Must add a LD race on Friday
    Lake Champlain; TBD; TBD; Is there an appropriate event?
    Toronto (ABYC); LYRA; Early Aug; 3-day course race, or plan LD?

Derek

terry webster
    Participant

I had also suggested Loyalist Cove in Bath, just outside of Kingston.The marina can either ramp launch or travel lift. I did the Soling Canadians there they did a great regatta.We could run it there in June or Sept if that would be better for owners with families

Derek Lay
    Participant

Sorry Terry, my mistake. Do you know what the marina charges, if anything, for the travel lift services, masting and dockage during an event? Is there a regatta to join, or a club and/or local boat to host a stand-alone event? The launch, haul, slip and regatta management fees are all effectively included in the LYRA, Can-Am and NOD registration, so it will be important to quantify the overall cost of each option before we can compare them properly. We’ll need the same details for the Lake Champlain event if anyone has them.

Dave Savard
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I ramp launched Surfer Girl from Loyalist Cove in 2012. The ramp is in good shape and there water was deep enough. There was a crane to step and unstep the mast. Fee was ok but I don’t remember how much. People were great. There was solings racing right in front of the marina.

Personally I would prefer the Kingston Area rather than Ottawa where LD race would be compromised. There is 1.2 Nautical Miles between Loyalist Cove and Amherst Island, that should be OK for course racing…. I think that Kingston Area would attrack more boats than many other places. There’s already 2 olsons laying in Kinston.

Could anyone contact Loyalist Cove to have the fees and see if it could be possible to attach to an existing event and/or to plan a separate event just for us?

Derek, How much current on the river where you race in Ottawa?

Dave.

terry webster
    Participant

I talked to Dave Hinton owner of Loyalist Cove Marina he said having the NAs there would be great. they have a new travel lift there and said he would launch the boats for a nominal charge of something like $25 . He could organize a race committee and the long distance race could be around Amherst island. Would we prefer Sept. when the kids are back in school? What month suits us best any thoughts

Old School
    Participant

Regarding Loyalist – I have raced there lots and helped run a number of regattas there. I can confirm that the Hintons will do anything within their ability to make the event successful should you decide to go there. It is a nice small facility that would have a feel similar to Barrie did, except that it has no clubhouse to speak of. A tent would need to be rented. There is no kitchen there, so if you wanted a fleet dinner you would have to get it catered. Not a huge deal, and the Hintons would probably take care of it all.

Two things to consider about hosting there. 1) there is very little in terms of accommodation within 20 minutes of the site. The residential development there has reduced tent options, but there is probably still room to toss a few. 2) They are not a CYA club. Not a big deal really, as they have hosted a number of regattas without issue in the past.

Racing around Amherst would be fun, but you would need to use a couple of the navigation marks to reduce local knowledge benefits. For the course racing, the consistent back seen in the Kingston Harbour is not as much of an issue here, so the racing is a bit more tactical.

It would be a good event, but something completely different than the Can-Am or LYRA.

terry webster
    Participant

We need others owners to weigh in on this discussion as to location and best time of year for them.There is accommodation options with in 10mins again B&Bs and the Mil haven Inn nothing expensive . We can even discuss tenting,I have an RV and will stay on the property. What time of year gets us the most boats everyone please reply

Dave Savard
    Participant

Hi Terry,

I Agree with you that we need to have and idea of what peaople wants to have as much boats as possible on the start line. For Loyalist Cove, the LD race around the Island would be around 30 miles. Renting a tent and BBQs should not be an issue if marina is okay with that. I think that the most important are the launching facility and pricing, Race Comitee, water plan and distance from the fleet or quantity of boats racing.

What is the best way to have owners opinions from here?

Dave

Jonathan Nye
    Participant
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.