2015 North American Championship Site Selection

Home Forums Regattas & Racing 2015 North American Championship Site Selection

This topic contains 43 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by SWG SWG 3 years ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Dave Savard
    Participant

Hi Dear Olson 30 Owners!

We had a great time and a successful stand alone event this year in Bath, Ontario, as a stand alone event with 6 boats competing for the title. We also have a New Champion With Jonathan Nye and his crew on Attractive Nuisance. Congratulations again to you Guys.

Time has come to start discussions regarding the 2015 NAC Venue. The goal is to brainstorm about all possibilities while keeping in mind that the main objectives are:

– Having a largest number of boats on the start line (8 to 10)
    – Deploying a High Level Race Comitee
    – Asking Low Entry and Lauching Fees
    – Having Fun on the water
    – Having Fun on the shore

As the discussions will go on, we will sort out the 3 “best” propostions. When we feel that most of the people are ok with them, we will set up a vote to elect 1 venue out of those 3. The winner will host the 2015 NAC. It would be great to have the poll done in early january.

Discussions are now open!

Thanks for joining the discussions!

Dave Savard
    Victrix aka “Surfer Girl”
    Hull 165

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Ben from Investors Group think Collins Bay Yacht Club is a good option. I think it’s good too.

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Loyalist Cove, Collins Bay and Kingston are for all intents and purposes the same body of water (at least for anyone considering traveling to these locations). As fun as the race around Amherst Island was, with the NAs in Bath last year, the 2015 edition should move west (or south). The LYRA regatta at Sodus Bay would be a natural candidate. That or move over to Lake Eire and piggy-back off Cleveland Race Week. Or something out of Sandusky Sailing or the Buffalo Canoe Club?

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

If the NA’s are part of LYRA how does that work? Are they open to having a Class? The Sodus Bay location looks great even though some might think it’s too far away. For boats travelling from distance it’s not an issue but for boats who plan to sail to the regatta it could be.

How do people feel about Toronto?

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Bolting a NAC onto an event like the LYRA annual regatta should be no problem (has been done previously). The Class simply asks for a OD start and that becomes our W-L racing. The open question becomes the distance race. The round Amherst Island was a fascinating race given the conditions and navigational challenges. It would be hard to replicate that experience by simply going round some offshore buoys. Having said that, I personally like the idea of a distance race as part of the Class championship.

What’s the issue for owners with regard to taking their boats on the road?
    – Lack of tow vehicle?
    – Lack of trailer?
    – Lack of gin pole or other ability to get mast up and down?
    – Unwilling to deal with the hassle?

Toronto would be fine though in 2013 there was an attempt to hold the NAs with the LYRA regatta at National YC and it didn’t draw sufficient interest.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

jonathan,

that all sounds good.

for our crew we do lack a suitable tow vehicle.

if the event was in kingston area we would likely deliver the boat and some of the crew would drive. this would save the 2x hauling and launching & stepping. our sailing club does not have launching/hauling facility, or even a mast crane.

i saw the 2013 LYRA results and that obviously that wasn’t a good showing in terms of boats. as a new group to the great lakes olson group we’ll go along with almost anything but a lake ontario (water) delivery is preferred. towing is possible but involves cost that the group will likely reject.

Gary Gochal
    Participant

As an Olson 30 sailor who has come up to Kingston from New Jersey 3 times to compete with the other Olsons I would like to offer an invite to hold the Olson 30 NA’s at Raritan Yacht Club in Perth Amboy NJ. We can drop this regatta on top of our Red Grant Regatta held 2nd week of July or with our Fall Series usually held in September. Our club has a hoist which can more than accommodate an Olson 30 and mast step can be accomplished with our gin pole. All this can happen at no cost to participants. Entry fees for either regatta is usually about $150-200 US. Raritan Bay is a wide open bay with plenty of water and leads out to NY lower bay and the Atlantic ocean. Long distance courses as well and windward leeward courses will be available. There are many places to stay and a wide variety of restaurants. The parties at RYC are also excellent. We do know how to have a good time. We should be able to attract boats from Long Island Sound as well as the Chesapeake. Any thoughts.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Gary,

That proposal sounds fantastic. Especially the parties! Would love to come to NJ. Might be a stretch but the whole package sounds great. Jonathan Nye will be pleased with this idea.

Chris Voigt
    Participant

I would be in for NJ, coming up from the Bay wouldn’t be too bad.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Chance of chartering a boat in NJ? I can bring my own sails.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

we had a team meeting this evening and our crew is liking the Sodus Bay idea. Lots to like there. LYRA is a big, well-run event. it’s very close for the eastern Lake Ontario boats to deliver by water. it actually closer for the toronto area boats for a water delivery that it would be for a kingston-area event.

Thomas Bolland
    Participant

Anything around Lake Ontario or Lake Erie is fine by me. It sounds like NJ would be a fun destination but I would prefer traveling south in September.

Another possibility could be Midland Ontario during the Georgian Bay Regatta at the end of July. This regatta is celebrating its 30th year. I have helped organize it for several years. It is a point to point regatta. It would require a bit of organizing of some course racing in Midland Bay but would appeal to anyone that might like to overnight (at anchor) around some islands. Midland is an hour north of Toronto.

Dave Savard
    Participant

Hi everyone,

We have a total of 4 proposals and We need to get this out to 3 realistic and Feasable venues to setup the vote:

Collins Bay Yacht Club, Kingston, Ont – Stand Alone Event – Dates Unknown
    Midland Ontario – Georgian Bay Regatta – End of July
    Sodus Bay Yacht Club, Sodus Point, NY – LYRA – Dates Unknown – Usally 200-250$
    Raritan Yacht Club, Perth Amboy, NJ – Red Grant Regatta / Fall series – 2nd of July / september – Usually 150$-200$

In my humble opinion, LYRA in Sodus Bay and Gary Gochal inivitaion for NJ seems to be feasable options. I think we need more detailed proposal for the 2 others venues.

Any Thoughts?

Dave.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

good to keep the discussions going dave. hopefully we can get more great lakes owners involved in the planning of the event, starting with the location and dates!

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

LYRA is July 28-Aug 2 by the way. I think that’s officially called a tentative date but I doubt it will change.

Gary Gochal
    Participant

Just want to add the correct date for the Red Grant Regatta at Raritan Yacht
    Club, Perth Amboy, NJ. July 11 & 12. A distance race can be held on the Thursday or Friday before to make it a 3 or 4 day event. We are also hosting the J/109 East Coast Championship the same weekend.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Don’t know if anyone has seen these before, but I found some great photos of the 2014 NA’s. Click on the link to go to the photographer’s gallery. He gave me permission to post the link. There are a lot of photos of all aspects of the weekend.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

FYI we have had word from Sodus Bay YC that we could hold our NA’s there during LYRA, so this option is now on a firm footing. I believe the Laser 28 Nationals are scheduled to be there also.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

One other possibility would be the Can-Am Challenge at Youngstown. 2014 was last weekend of July. It’s kind of a replacement for the Youngstown Levels and they are focusing on OD classes. If you have 5 boats on the line they will run your class.

http://www.yyc.org/sailing/can-am-challenge/

Thomas Bolland
    Participant

LRYA would be fine.

Dave Savard
    Participant

Hi dear Olson 30 owners,

Since there’s been no other developpement on the forum for a while, I propose to setup a vote this week to decide for the 2015 North American Championship venue.

The two options will be:

1 – LYRA – Sodus Bay Yacht Club, Sodus Point, NY – July 28 to Aug 2 – Registration around 250$

2 – Red Grant Regatta – Raritan Yacht Club, Perth Amboy, NJ – July 10,11,12 – Registration around 200$

I would like to have 2 active members endorsement before proceeding with the poll.

We actually have a pretty accurate mailing list for of North East Olson 30 owners. Any owner that would like to make sure to be invited to vote for the 2015 NA’s Site Selection only have to send an E-Mail to classleader2004@yahoo.ca. The E-mail must include, Owner Name, Boat Name, Hull Number, Sail Number and Location. Your E-mail adress will then be added to the list.

The goal is the start the poll on thursday january 8th for a 7 day period ending on january 15th.

Thanks everyone,

Dave.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

i endorse your proposal dave. i am active and paid for 2015.

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

So no consideration given to Western Long Island Sound, October 10-12? Can guarantee the regatta fees will be cheaper than $250. And if you want the trophy back…
    Jonathan

Dave Savard
    Participant

Sorry Jonathan,

Maybe I missed it. Is this the same yacht Club as the Red Grant Regatta (Raritan Yacht Club)? Who will in charge to attach our Championship to this Event? Will it be possible to have a long distance race?

Thanks,

Dave.

Gary Gochal
    Participant

Jonathan, Raritan Yacht Club, Perth Amboy NJ is close to Western Long Island Sound. Just a day trip down the East River, under the Verrazano and into Raritan Bay. Many of our club members race at American and Manhasset during the season. It’s an easy trip down.

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Dave… Had mentioned the possibility of holding something in conjunction with my Club’s “Gearbuster” race. Been run for close to 60 years. It’s 50 miles to a lighthouse and back. Last three years have been “epic”. Now a day race was once an evening race. It’s always the Saturday before Columbus Day. Entry fee would be a function of what people want but I’m guessing we could do something very reasonably and include at least one nice dinner. No hoist fees and my gin pole is readily available for anyone who needs one. Great time of year for us.

Gary… Only mentioned WLIS because we’ve got a built-in distance race and had tried to promote the idea earlier.

Whether it’s Sodus Bay, Raritan Bay or WLIS, we’ll make every effort to be there.

Jonathan

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Should have mentioned… One goal is certainly to pick a spot likely to draw the most boats. But if we think we’ve got a chance of luring mid-Atlantic, Chesapeake, NJ boats plus some lake boats to a location more conducive to them, we should consider that too. Seems like it would be a good idea to promote some geographic diversity instead of always being locked into Lake Ontario.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Curveball: what if we have LYRA as the Great Lakes Fleet Championship – this is a legit thing as per the constitution, in fact all fleets are supposed to have championships or they can lose their fleet status – and have the NA’s in one of the NJ/NY locations, and have it late in the season as Jonathan was talking about – October. Is this a do-able thing?

Dave Savard
    Participant

Scott: I don’t think this will help us organising the 2015 North Americans. I Think we should discuss that kind of stuff

for the 2016 championship.

Jonathan: Traditionally we plan 2 or 3 days of cource racing (8 to 10 races) + 1 Discardable long distance – Same

formula as last year.

Will the regatta include W/L races?

Will you take in charge regatta organisation and logistics if the site is choseen?

Is the description below okay?

Gearbuster – Indian Harbor Yacht Club, Old Greenwich, CT – October 10 to 12 – Registration under 250$

Don’t forget that wee need at least 5 1st choice votes for a site to be elected.

In my humble opinion, it will divide the US votes… But if it’s ok with you and Gary we will go that way.

Dave.

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Yes, anything we do out of Indian Harbor would include W/L racing. Could be like 2014 – W/L racing on Friday, distance race on Saturday, more W/L racing on Sunday. Or Thu/Fri W/L racing, Saturday distance race.

Let’s say a vote for either US site gets added together. No one willing to do one shouldn’t be willing to do the other.

Jonathan

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.