2015 North American Championship Site Selection

Home Forums Regattas & Racing 2015 North American Championship Site Selection

This topic contains 43 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by SWG SWG 3 years ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

Dave Savard
    Participant

Jonathan,

Whe already faced that kind of situation in the past and we can’t add points for 2 differents location or dates since someone who vote for a venue is not necessary available or do not necessary intend to show up at the other date or location…

In other words: 2 différents dates, even at the same location or yacht club are considered as 2 different venues.

That’s the essence of the vote…

If you don’t want to divide votes, you and Gary will have to choose between a venue or the other. If you can’t agree with each other, that mean that the 2 venues are in competition and needs a vote to elect one amongst the others.

Are you okay with that?

Dave

Allen
    Participant

All.
    O30 “Moonshine” sails on the Hudson just north of NY city. I agree, it is time to have NAC’s somewhere here on the East Coast. We will be at either of Raritan Bay or LIS venues. Unforetunately, we don’t have a trailer, so traveling to any venue up on the lakes is not an option for us. We strongly support a North American Champs somewhere here on the East Coast! It’s time. It’s our turn.

Gary and Johnathan
    Both venues would be good and I will offer whatever help I can with the regatta. I think it would be best to pick one of your venues to go into the vote. I fear if both of your venues are put into the vote, the votes will be split and we will end up losing the event to the lakes again. Having sailed a lot on LIS in the fall, I think Raritan Bay in July sounds a little bit warmer.

Allen

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

As a newcomer I can see the value of having the NA’s at the coastal venue instead of Lake Ontario, even though Lake Ontario would be closer and easier. Class members, wherever they are, need to think of the health of the Olson 30 class as a whole going forward, not just that they want to have a big regatta this summer in their back yard. For Dave Savard, he’s in Quebec and he’s travelling regardless and he’s trailered his boat year after year to participate. I think having the NA’s at the NJ or NY venue would go along way to building better unity between the Lake Ontario fleet and the fleets on the coast. People are less and less likely to trailer to championships as costs have risen and people are older and busier in their lives.

The potential downside of the NJ/NY venue is a small turnout because several or maybe even many class members from Lake Ontario won’t make the trip to NJ/NY. This is unfortunate but you can’t fault people if they don’t have the ability to travel. I am trying not to sit on the fence here, but even though the NA’s in NJ/NY probably means a smaller regatta, I am inclined to support and to vote for that venue so the east coast folks get a chance to host the event.

My idea of changing LYRA to be the Great Lakes Fleet Championship has gotten no traction but it’s still out there. It allows the coastal NA’s to happen without depriving the LO fleet of their big summer regatta. It’s just they’re not racing for the George trophy. I’d like some feedback on this from members who are inclined to vote for the LYRA option for the NA’s. Are people willing to re-think the proposals at this late date in order to facilitate an NJ or NY venue for NA’s? I agree with Dave by the way that the NJ/NY/Coast membership should gather themselves and pick one date and location. I also agree with folks who are saying it would be good to have NA’s in NJ or LIS.

Gary Gochal
    Participant

Just to update everyone about what we have to offer at Raritan Yacht Club, Perth Amboy, NJ. First…We have a hoist capable of launching your boat, second…mast stepping can be done with our gin pole, third…would recommend a distance race on Friday (say out past Sandy Hook to any of a number of buoys out in the approaches to NY Harbor, 25-35 miles or more), fourth…windward/leeward racing Saturday and Sunday as part of the Red Grant Regatta, fifth…excellent party Saturday night, and lastly…plenty of housing and food options in and around the area. Because of tidal considerations, launching would be between the hours of about 11am to 4pm on Wednesday 7/8 and 12-5pm on Thursday 7/9. Haulout on Sunday would be possible till about 8pm. Oh, did I mention that we would have a place to store your trailer also if that’s the way get there.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Just noticed that the Red Grant Regatta is the same weekend as the Lake Ontario 300 which might be a conflict for some people.

Dave Savard
    Participant

Hi Everybody,

Gary, thanks for thoses precisions about Perth Amboy venue. Theses are important details.

Jonathan an Gary: This is my last call about the Idea of having only 1 venue in the NY/NJ region. Are you sure you still wanna keep 2 different venues? I want to send the poll on thursday night so I need an answer before… If I have no news on friday morning I will send the vote with the 3 venues below:

– Sodus Point, NY (LYRA)
    – Perth Amboy, NJ
    – Old Greenwich, CT

Thanks,

Dave

roger mcneil
    Participant

Anywhere on Lake Ontario is great!

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Roger,

Thanks for posting. FYI I spoke to Roger on Friday. He sails out of Whitby YC and he’s a relatively recent Olson 30 owner. Welcome!

Dave Savard
    Participant

Hi everyone,

Here are the final results after 7 days:

Total Owners invited to vote: 31
    Total votes: 11

Ranking:
    1st – Sodus Point (LYRA) with 8 first choices for a total of 24 points
    2nd – Perth Amboy with 2 first choices and 4 second choices for a total of 10 points
    3rd – Old Greenwich with 1 first choice and 7 second choice for a total of 10 points

So the 2015 Olson 30 North American Championship venue will be LYRA in Sodus Point.

Stay Tune for more details.

Thanks for you participation,

Dave Savard
    Victrix aka Surfer Girl
    Hull 165

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Looks like we’ll have at least a nine boat North Americans then.

In future years we should think of alternative ways of awarding the NAs. Given a choice, it seems the lake boats will always choose LO. However given a choice between somewhere else or not having a NA championship, maybe some would travel (enough to make a viable regatta). Otherwise, we’ll always be on LO.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

I completely agree with you Jonathan. If you look at two posts I made earlier this month I was suggesting we shift the LYRA event to being the Great Lakes Fleet Champs for 2015, and this would allow a different voting profile for the NA’s and basically fix the voting so the NA’s could move easily to the coast. The idea came a little late in the game and went – surprisingly to me – completely un-commented upon.

Derek Lay
    Participant

Sorry that I wasn’t around to participate in the discussion, but I was able to vote and we intend to attend the regatta. I agree with Jonathan and others – we should have a system that allows the regatta to be determined with an eye to the health of the fleet, not just the desires of the majority. The current system came about after several years of small fleets and difficult decisions. Now that the fleet has been somewhat rejuvenated, it may be a good time to explore other options or methods.
    Without attempting to add too much bureaucracy to the process, might it be time to elect a fleet executive and charge that (small) group with determining the regatta venue, schedule, format and any other issues that need to be addressed? Confirming the fleet measurer(s), publishing a local amendment to the OD equipment list (if still needed to address MOB poles, etc), and other routine admin would be helpful for new owners if our own experience is any indication. We were very fortunate to be able to leverage the local Kingston boats’ experience when we bought OC; anything we can do to help new boats join the racing fleet means better competition for everyone.

Derek

Derek Lay
    Participant

Now that the venue has been chosen, is there any interest in racing a tune-up regatta at Youngstown? The CAN-AM Challenge regatta is the weekend before LYRA, and there is usually a feeder race between the two venues on Monday. YYC adopted a new OD-only format last year, and the feedback that I got from everyone who participated is that the new on-water format and old party format make for a very good combination. Five boats are required to form a fleet, with almost 100 boats registered last year in 12 OD classes including everything from J/70s to 8 meters.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Derek,

could i suggest you start a new topic regarding your fleet executive ideas. we can kick some of these initiatives around and then vote on them because your ideas deserve further discussion. bruce rand was informally nominated fleet captain to replace scot mundle but this has not been done either formally or according to constitutional rules, quorum etc.

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.