Asymms for the O30

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Asymms for the O30

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by SWG SWG 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Apologies if this has been covered before. If so, kindly point me in the right direction…

Do people have a view and the effectiveness of switching to all asymms off the standard pole for distance and mid-distance racing? If I understand our local PHRF regs correctly, I can do this without penalty so long as I use one or the other (all symmetricals or all asymmetricals). Seems a running asymm designed for setting off a squared back pole wouldn’t be much of a performance give versus the standard S2 since on LIS and maybe elsewhere, the difference in luff and leech lengths can be as little as 5% while the average of the two can be up to the rated luff length for the symmetrical all without penalty. So a running asymm could be made to look a lot like the running symmetrical assuming we’re setting of a pole we can square back. Or am I missing something? If not, is the only drawback a more involved gybing process? Then having an A1 and A3 would certainly seem to be an advantage versus the symmetrical counterparts.

Thoughts?

Jiri Senkyrik
    Participant

Jonathan,

I picked up an A3 and and A2 for distance racing and here is why. The shape is a bit more efficient and when squared back on a pole it does fly better than my equivalent symmetric spin. But the main reason I am using them is because they are much easier to trim and steer to when shorthanded. To keep my symmetrical spins flying nicely it takes a lot more work. Another thing is when offshore and dealing with constant swells and changes in apparent wind angle the asyms handle this MUCH better. I am still having a hard time figuring out what the best option is at night (especially with squals – hawaii race). The added complexity of gybing is very unattractive and during some situations it the easy of gybing teh symmetrical make it a winner. Not sure if this is what you wanted, but I hope it helps.

One last thing – if you find yourself on a reach, these make the boat fly.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.