BMW inboard

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions BMW inboard

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jean Andre 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jean Andre
    Participant

My Olson is an outboard but I would love to put an inboard. I have a good chance to get a BMW 1 cil for it for around $400.00 but it may have to be rebuilt. Any thoughts?

Cheers

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Find a Yanmar GM10 instead. People pull BMW’s to put in Yanmars. If you have a Pearson Flyer around..so see how miserable an engine it is. BMW in need of a rebuild is a mooring anchor. I have the GM10 and it is great. J/29’s have these. On another side note: they are NOT powerful. A folding prop/8 hp and 25 on the nose and you will be very slow. They will push the boat 6.5 knots on flat water; charge your battery; and sip fuel. Near 20 miles per gallon at 6 knots.

Where will you get the strut/shaft/misc?

A saildrive might be easier and less expensive in the long run. Labor is expensive, saildrive would be less labor; my guess.

Jean Andre
    Participant

So far I am just researching. What attracts me about the inboard are: Charging and ease of handling plus I would rather have a motor readily available under the cockpit then having to remove and put the outboard back when I need it, And I am not sure I want to go offshore with the outboard hanging back there… Outboard seem a little safer to me.
    And I think a 10hp inboard is a little better then my 6hp outboard, no?
    I don´t know where I will get the rest of the parts. For now I am looking at my Budget options
    Any other Ideas?

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

The hp of a single diesel is not relative to ‘power’. The torque and the small prop are not better than an outboard. Convenience is the issue. Love my little diesel. Outboards suck and on an Olson mount: double suck.

You might start looking for an inboard Olson. It would be cheaper to sell yours and buy one already set up.

Otherwise..a J Boat boneyard. J/30’s J/29’s were inboards. If you want some power, go 2GM. Weighs a bit more, but a cruiser!

Piotr
    Participant

Has anyone tried this idea on the Olson?
    It’s on the Melges but I have seen it retrofited to H33.

http://www.socasailboats.com/CRO_System/body_cro_system.html

Jean Andre
    Participant

I think this is an interesting idea but it does not attain my goal which is to not only have more comfortable operation but to also have battery charging capabilities.

By the way Piotr, I checked your Olson Blog, your boat is looking awesome!! Congrats!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.