Boom Height

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Boom Height

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bruce Hubble Bruce Hubble 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jean Andre
    Participant

How high is the boom supposed to be from the cockpit floor when the mainsail is up?
    Mine comes down a lot, Feels almost like taking a Hobie Cat….

Jim Saylor
    Participant

Jean,

Boom level is determined by the cut of your main and how much rake you have in your mast. Who built your main?

Jean Andre
    Participant

Hi Jim,
    I do not have much rake, my mast is fairly straight.
    I have a quantum sail and a Dacron old sail, both leave the boom fairly low.
    How much differenceDoes it make to have the Mainsail clew a foot or so higher or lower? Does it make that much difference?

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

My boom is near horizontal fully sheeted. I have a boomkicker that at rest is just above horizontal.

You need a sailmaker visit. Check your spinnaker and the main. Maybe your hoist isn’t up all the way? Do you have a stopper slug at the white band? Maybe it slipped down? A clue to this would be a lot of wrinkles in the luff down low.

Jean Andre
    Participant

Hi Bruce,
    My sails seem to be going all the way up they look fine by visual inspection and they reach the top of the mast. I had the feeling my sails were cut with a lower clew, I just wondered if this was normal on all Olsons…
    What is a “stopper slug at the white band”?

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Top of the mast is painted white. You cannot hoist into the white area. I have a slug screwed into the luff groove to prevent hoisting too high.

If your luff is smooth and the boom is much lower than horizontal..talk to your sail maker. If you are expecting to stand under the boom. Wrong boat for that.

Jean Andre
    Participant

How far down the mast should I mark it, my mast does not have it.

Luff is smooth so I guess a sailmaker visit is overdue…

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Are you sure you have the correct mast? That could explain things too!

Survey: Does everyone have a black mast and the top is painted white for the “band”?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.