Cabinets

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  John Scarborough 4 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

John Scarborough
    Participant

Anyone know what type of wood our cabinets are made of? I’m refinishing my cabinets and need to replace a piece due to moisture damage and want to match it as closely as possible. I’ve heard they were made from Okoume, but not sure. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

fitzee
    Participant

That may be for your boat but mine is definitely not mahogany. Very light color…may be birch ply?

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Most likely it is mahoghany…with no stain. Mahoghany can be very blond left natural or bleached.

fitzee
    Participant

I’m not so sure about that Bruce. In a review by Bob Perry in an old issue of Castoff Magazine (archived on that other Olson site) he states “The Olson 30 uses birch plywood with seven laminations imported from Finland”. Could it be they used different plys over the years? Mine is hull #27 and it sure looks like birch to me..

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

I’m 212…and you may be correct. Seems that I did hear that the brunyzeel was an option. So…birch if it is light and brunyzeel if red/darker John.

John Scarborough
    Participant

Very early on I wondered if mine were made of Birch as they are very light in color. I’m going to visit a distributor in the Bay area this weekend. Hope they have something that matches.

John Scarborough
    Participant

It’s been settled. After much research (stumbling around in lumber yards) I’ve determined that my cabinets are indeed made of Birch. Just an FYI for others that may be interested.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.