Carbon Mast

Home Forums Hardware & Setup Technical Carbon Mast

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bruce Hubble Bruce Hubble 3 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jean Andre
    Participant

Hi All,

Does anyone ever considered a carbon Mast for an Olson? Thoughts?

Cheers

J

Bill Vosteen
    Participant

I think you know the answer, of course owners have thought about it. If you got a carbon mast, with less weight aloft, your boat would have a better righting moment which would effectively give you a stiffer boat which is a positive. The main negative is that you would never get the investment back when you sold your boat. You wouldn’t be a class boat and couldn’t race with it in class events with the carbon mast. It would help in handicap racing, though they would adjust your handicap accordingly.

Jean Andre
    Participant

I am seeing a lot of radical modifications and refits to Olsons. Would it ever be a review on what makes it a Class boat? How far can someone go and still keep it “Class Legal”?

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Any deviation from a class rule and you are out. RRS.

That being said, a class can give a written ‘pass’ on any class rule. I’m an inboard, I’m sure they would let that pass. My modified cockpit should pass, but would take a huge amount of discussion.

Because I’m an inboard and race offshore/PHRF..not a worry for me or my boat. ;)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.