Carrying large quantities of volatile liquids safely

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Carrying large quantities of volatile liquids safely

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ray 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Participant

I know this may be a strange place to ask the question, but this refers to storing gasoline for the upcoming Bermuda 1-2. I need to somehow safely transport as much as 20 gallons to Bermuda. I’d really rather NOT lash Jerry cans to the deck, but would it be acceptable to carry that much gasoline down below? For some reason, that just doesn’t seem safe. I’ve got questions out to a couple veteran single-handers (Andy Evans- Foolish Muse) and my mentor for the B1-2 (Tristan Mouligne, who sails a boat with an inboard diesel). Does anyone have any experience with this?

Lilya Vorobey
    Participant

Defintiely a vent in the back and the these gas containers seems to work:

http://greatstuffthatworks.com/2393/the-best-safest-easiest-to-use-gas-can-the-no-spill/

Ray
    Participant

Thanks, Lilya. I would definitely open the aft lazarette hatch, and my nose is very sensitive to the smell of gas. I’ll always pause before lighting the stove (which I’ll probably use just for making coffee anyway). I wonder of they allow below storage of fuel. I’ve never seen any of the transpac boats (most recently, Adrian Johnson’s Idefix) with gas containers lashed above deck, and I know he had at least 20 gallons capacity in there somewhere..

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

NEVER< NEVER< NEVER store fuel below decks! Gas is heavier than air, it will NOT vent out an open hatch, it will settle to the bilge and then up to your nose. One spark and boom! The only way would be a fixed tank below that has an on deck fill and a vent line overboard. You would need a pump to pump from the tank into your outboard regular tank that also has to be above decks at all times. Gasoline is very dangerous. No gas storage below! The fumes in the cockpit could even “flow” into the cabin during filling, so no fires anywhere during or after filling until sure all fumes are gone.

Lilya Vorobey
    Participant

Just sent a note to Adrian.

Ray
    Participant

Yeah, I sorta counted on the “never-never-never..” response, but I can’t imagine lashing stuff above deck in plastic containers, and modifying my boat (yet again) to accommodate an inboard tank seems like, well, another expensive mod.. I want to be safe above all else, but I’ll wait to hear back from Andy. He usually responds back fairly quickly. Thank you for the ideas so far- I’ll let you know what Andy thinks (or Adrian, if that’s unsatisfactory).

Ray

Lilya Vorobey
    Participant

From Adrian:
    Actually I didn’t bring the motor for the return trip to Seattle. It probably would’ve shortened my trip by 2 or 3 days if I’d had it, but the Olson is a good light air boat. But when I sailed to Australia I just left the main tank in the cockpit and lashed a jerry can to the stern. The outboard fared ok, but I had to lash very tightly in all directions so it wouldn’t wallow around too much.

Ray
    Participant

Exactly what he just told me via Facebook, too! Ok- I’m going to contact the good folks over at the Bermuda 1-2 office and ask if they’ll allow me to race sans motor. I think that’s a great idea.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.