Cockpit manual bilge pump

Home Forums Hardware & Setup Technical Cockpit manual bilge pump

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Piotr 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Participant

Does anyone know where to buy these things and which model came spec’d with our boats? I’ve tried searching online and came up with nada… They look like a Guzzler 500 gph, but nothing at Defender looks quite like these.

Ray

Zeke Wolfskehl
    Participant

’tis a guzzler 500 with a vertical handle and a thru deck mounting kit.
    http://www.thebosworthco.com/instructions/installing_guzzler_hand_pumps.pdf

Ray
    Participant

Thank you, Zeke!

Piotr
    Participant

Fisheries supply has a good price on the pumps,
    I got a bigger size for my boat:

Piotr
    Participant

Follow up…
    I did have to glass over the old hole and re-position the pump.
    Not sure if that would work for you.

Piotr
    Participant

BTW, the offshore rules require two bilge pumps one has to discharge “not through the cockpit drains” http://olson30.tumblr.com/page/5
    How are you sailing your boat?

Ray
    Participant

Mine doesn’t really look like that at all- it’s turned 90 degrees and laying flat against that vertical wall inside the lazarette. I don’t have a picture handy, but there is no flap for the handle orifice- it’s a stainless post that you just slide the handle on and start pumpin’. It does say “Guzzler 500″ embossed on the body of the pump, and I called the company this morning- she said the current refurb kit will still work with those older pumps. What I am doing is making sure this pump works for Bermuda 1-2; it is a requirement for the race, not that I’m likely to be really using it to bail the boat if I take on a stern wave that finds it’s way down below- that pump really works to keep the sump dry at the dock. I have another electric pump in the bilge mounted right under the cockpit floor connected to 2” tubing that I have to place out the companionway, but the only other requirement for the race is a “permanently mounted” manual pump that allows pumping from inside the boat, but allows you to run the hose out through a crack in the companionway hatch or slider. All I’m going to do for that is just zip-tie a Thirsty mate in place near the companionway.

Ray
    Participant

Ya know- it looks like you’ve replaced your original pump- I can see the epoxy work. Which brand is that one? Whale??

Piotr
    Participant

Yea, I got a larger volume pump, since this will be an emergency equipment.
    it’s a Amazon Universal Manual Diaphragm Pump from Jabsco.
    I have a electric bilge pump as well. Under the mast, it has it’s own discharge at the transom – had to run a parallel pipe all the way back.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.