Deck Layouts

Home Forums Hardware & Setup Technical Deck Layouts

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jean Andre 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jean Andre
    Participant

Hello fellow Olson enthusiasts,

I have been looking around and I found many different deck Layouts and mainsheet setups.
    What layout do you have on your boat? Pictures would help a lot.

One more question, What is the small track on the deck, forward of the mast for?

Cheers

Jason Adamson
    Participant

Mines pretty standard:

2 Spinnaker Halyards, both on the mast
    1 Jibe Halyard led aft to the cockpit starboard side
    1 Main Halyard led aft to the cockpit port side
    4 winches, two on the cabin top for halyard/spin sheet work and 2 primary self tailors for jib sheets
    Vang is a 4:1 on a 2:1 cascade with boomkicker
    Mainsheet is 6:1
    Backstay is cascade with a total of 24:1 split and led to two cam cleats on the aft edge of the cockpit.
    Foreguy is run to both sides of the cabin top next to the secondary winches. It travels forward thru blocks at the base of the mast then to the pole. One continuous line.
    Topping lift is led thru a cam cleat, down to a turning block and left to lye on the deck. This allows crew on the rail to make the topping lift without getting up.

That track in front of your mast is most likely for the Babystay. Original single spreader rigs (like mine) have a Babystay to control mast shape. I have removed mine for the time being since I sail in predominately light winds. Heavy air I can rig up a temporary solution.

Jason Adamson
    White Lightning #133

Jean Andre
    Participant

Thanks Jason for the input. My rig was converted to double spreader. So I guess I do not need this track anymore.

I am working on making my Olson a Singlehander, and I plan to replace the track with a hand rail, your deck layout description especially the Foreguy helped a lot, mine is attached to a Padeye in front of the hatch, but I don´t like it very much, I think I prefer it at the base of the mast too.

What size line do you use for Spinnaker Halyard?

Jason Adamson
    Participant

Jean,
    My foreguy was set up similar to yours until recently when I changed to what I described above. The new arrangement is nice for clearing up the foredeck to move sails and also for take downs to keep sheets clear. Only issue I’ve had has been the pole tends to want to swing aft more, especially in lite air, leaving the clew of the spinnaker floating free. With the original set up the foreguy pulled foreward slightly creating a triangle effect.
    Spinnaker halyard size if I remember correctly is 8mm Endura Braid, 75ft.

Jason

Jean Andre
    Participant

Jason,
    I am also a newbie to all this spinnaker stuff but this is my thinking see if I am on the right track.
    The foreguy (pole downhaul, right?) controls mainly the height of the pole, and the after guy its position to the wind.
    My set up today does not allow me to bring the pole back without releasing the foreguy.
    My idea is that by having the foreguy at the base of the mast, I would be able to bring the mast foreword of aft without touching the foreguy. Does this make sense?
    Cheers

Jason Adamson
    Participant

Yes you are correct. But is also allows the pole to do this on its own when the wind is light and pressure on the kite is low.

Jean Andre
    Participant

So if I bring the the foreguy to the base of the mast but on light winds I use a snatch block to fix it to the “normal position” I would theoretically have the best of both worlds??

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.