Downwind Angles – Deep or hot?

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Downwind Angles – Deep or hot?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Bruce Hubble Bruce Hubble 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jonny
    Participant

There is debate over whether to sail hot or deep on our downwind legs and I’m wondering what everyone thinks.

Typically I would sail hot and gybe all the way to the leeward mark but in our PHRF class I watch J29’s and other boats sail strait for it and I don’t seem to be making significant gains.

In heavier wind I am inclined to sail a bit hotter with the pole slightly forward to keep the boat on her feet but in light to moderate stuff what are the thoughts on angles?

Al Holt
    Participant

We heat up in the lighter going. I think this is common. It increases the relative wind velocity and helps keep the kite full. As the breeze builds, we sail closer to straight downwind. Like you, we heat up a bit at the top end to reduce the death roll tendency. We do find that a bit of pole forward in the stronger stuff stabilizes the boat and permits us to sail pretty close to straight downwind.

Derek Lay
    Participant

We sail vary much as Al describes. In light to moderate breeze, sail as deep as you can while keeping the kite full and powered up. My trimmer lets me know when pressure gets light and I heat it up a bit until we can return to our base course.
    As the breeze gets heavier, particularly in waves, I’ll head up slightly. If you aren’t doing it, coordinate your trimmers with your helm movements in waves to help initiate and maintain surfing – this is one of the best downwind speed boosts you will get.

Al Holt
    Participant

In the heavier going we round down from time to time and then broach from time to time. I tell the crew I do it on purpose to keep them on their toes.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Just finished a weekend regatta in 16-18 knots with waves. Top speed was 11.1 Pretty much held the apparent wind at 165 to keep the boat moving and it is more stable moving!

In lighter stuff…DDW is slow..get up to speed at AWA of say 110 and take dips down as you can…say to 140. If you slow..it take a while to get back up to speed, so don’t!

Derek Lay
    Participant

Bruce – You sound like a guy with instruments on the boat. What are you using?

Having come up through dinghies, J/24s and the like, AWA on our boat is a bit less precise due to the ‘seat of the pants’ measuring device. :) Been thinking about instruments, but haven’t found that I’ve needed them $2000 worth yet. Is it worth the upgrade?

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

I put on a TackTick wind last year. I used the ‘lower’ echelon model…”micro?”.

It is right on…wireless…and only needs simple 12v hookup. About $600 US.

If you are using a Windex…same thing…just inside the ‘paddles’ in medium and outside the paddles in light. The ‘instrument’ saves my neck!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.