Fore Hatch

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Zeke Wolfskehl 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Zeke Wolfskehl
    Participant

Am replacing the fore hatch, to open forward, and tried a Lewmar Medium Profile. It would not lie flat, it hit the coaming. What hatch can I use that will open forward and clear the coaming to lie flat on the fore deck.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

I have my original turned forward. It springs a little bit, but that is good as it doesn’t quite ‘hammer’ the deck.

You might consider glassing a wedge on the flange aft surfaces. 1/4″ might be a charm.

Jim Saylor
    Participant

We installed a Lewmar low profile with the hinges forward. Had to add a 1/2″ flange around the hatch seat. Works great.

Gene Perkins
    Participant

Jim.. I have some hatch work to do also as I have the low profile hatch installed but as you say it doesn’t lay flat and somebody stepped on it and cracked the plexi. Would you have a picture of the flange you used to make it lay flat?

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

I’ll be adding to the flange on my boat during it’s remodel. I’ll document with pictures! It appears the hump in front of the hatch is too high for the lid to lay flat. I’ll be adding to the flange to get the hatch up to the same plane. Should be within the next couple weeks.

Jim Saylor
    Participant

Gene, I’ll see about a photo this evening. I found some 5/8″? hard polyester/glass strand foam board which some use for bulkheads. Cut 3/4 strips glued at corners w/ small inside triangles, cut & shaped the corners and glassed w/ epoxy. Then glassed to old hatch opening and installed new hatch. One could use wood too.

Gene Perkins
    Participant

Thanks guys. I’ll keep an eye out for the photos. Bruce spar wars is looking good!

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Initial wood frame. This will be shaped. Pic attached.

Zeke Wolfskehl
    Participant

Used 1/2″ thick pvc sheet for the shim with a Lewmar medium profile size 60 fore hatch. Couple of pictures attached. The Lewmar fit right into the existing hole and opens to lie on the fore deck.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.