Halyard Replacement

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Halyard Replacement

This topic contains 35 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by SWG SWG 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Replying to SWG… We’ve done away with the topping lift so the centerline halyard serves that purpose meaning one of the wing halyards has to be the primary. The centerline can be a backup genoa halyard and if the need arises to set a pole while in use, we’ll presumably set the pole on the starboard wing temporarily.

My masthead is as described elsewhere: 2 off-center sheaves above the headstay tang; one sheave on the centerline below.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

right, i get it now. i think you mentioned that before.

interesting that your mast is different. the masts i have seen have three sheaves in a row. not the best photo, sorry.

Shad Lemke
    Participant

I’m replacing all of my halyards, it sounds like 5/16 is sufficient, but what about going aloft alone? Will the ascenders grigri’s or bosun chairs work with 5/16 or does the halyard need to be thicker for that?

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Not sure on your climbing apparatus but as far as strength of the line 5/16″ will be fine. when using dyneema or vectran the general rule of thumb is that the line has strength equivalent to the same size of stainless wire. a 5/16″ halyard would normally have 1/4″ dyneema or vectran core. 1/4″ dyneema or vectran have a breaking strength of approximately 8,000lbs.

photos are all 5/16″ halyards. the white halyard is the primary genoa, it’s vectran with a polyester tail spliced to it and a polyester cover. the other two halyards are samson validator II which is vectran with polyester cover.

Shad Lemke
    Participant

Just looked at the Grigri, its rated for 8.9mm-11mm, and the ascender is rated for 8mm-13mm. 5/16=8mm, 3/8=9.5. I just night run the main and jib halyards at 3/8 and my spin halyards at 5/16. Thoughts?

SWG, in your pictures of your halyards is the ball on just your spin halyards?

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Ball only on the spinnaker halyards, yes.

3/8″ sounds pretty big. it occurs that it could be too big for the sheaves in the masthead, but maybe not. check the actual size of the line too, the spec size is a nominal dimension, actual can vary quite a bit.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.