How much are these sails worth

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions How much are these sails worth

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jean Andre 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jean Andre
    Participant

I am looking into some sails modifications for my boat and it may be that instead of adding slugs and reef points I may end up just buying a new sail. But then I have left over a very good 40/60 carbon/kevlar main and a very good 40/60 155 genoa, both from Quantum. Does anybody have interest in them? How much would these sails be worth?
    Cheers

Lilya Vorobey
    Participant

When were they made? How much use?

Lilya Vorobey
    Participant

When were they made? How much use?

Jean Andre
    Participant

I just spoke to Keith at Quantum yesterday, they are both 2002 sails. They are on Corsair. I can´t say how much use they had but I can say they look really good and well cared for.
    If anyone has a mainsail with 2 or more reefpoints and a number 2 sail other than Dacron they would like to trade, maybe it would be good for both of us.
    Hank on headsails or slugs main would be a joy…
    I even have a Tuff Luff I can throw in the deal.

Jonathan Pollak
    Participant

Honestly, and just my opinion here… these sails would have little or no resale value. Composites of this age have almost no value. They have almost always started to delaminate and the technology for composite sails has grown by orders of magnitude in 12 years. Counter-intuitively if they your sails were Dacron (and were not blown) they WOULD have value, but old composite laminates almost always do not. A resale loft such as Bacon Sails does not accept older laminates at all.

Jean Andre
    Participant

Hi Jonathan,
    I agree partially. I agree that the technology has leaped in the last years but also the similar sail of today is around the $2500.00 per sail, so even if these sails are dated, I assure you there is no delam and they were very well cared for. I agree that the value of some things is not measurable like a building or a car, but, for he who has no sails, having a dated but still really good sail for less then half the price of a new one…

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

I got a set of North 3DL’s with my boat when I bought it in 2007. They were beautiful and not a mark on them. They were 2001-2 vintage. I was so happy. UNTIL

First race…#1 up. Started shooting ‘dandruff’ all over..pretty soon the foot was nothing but strings. #3 Kevlar…same thing..strings after one regatta.

So, yes..technology has improved, but not until the 2008 and up era. Early 2000 was junk. The glue looked like the stuff you used in kindergarten.

Hate to throw water on your sails, but buyer beware. You should just use them. I will qualify my problem: They were STRING sails, not the gator type. I have a couple of those and they are pretty good material, but not race worthy. Abuse them while you can. :)

Jean Andre
    Participant

Hi Bruce,
    thanks for your insight. After much consideration these sails are become decoration and fabric for my wife´s sewing projects…
    Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.