Inboard Info Needed!

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Inboard Info Needed!

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ray 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Calling all inboard owners! I need to know if anyone has had IMS/IRC/ORR incline measurements ever done.

If so, please contact me. It seems the stability index of an inboard is less than an outboard. I’m trying to qualify for the Chicago Mac and need the information.

Thanks!

Jonathan Pollak
    Participant

I heard about the new mac stability requirements of 103 and the exclusion of many boats that have done it for years. Are they eliminating you? According to this link [saw on sailing anarchy] you are 101, while the other Olson on there is 106 [non inboard I presume.

http://offshore.ussailing.org/ORR/ORR_Scratch_Sheets/ORR_Windward_Leeward_50_50.htm

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

I’m not eligible at this point. The 101 rating was some other boat, but I was assigned their rating via sistership. So, I need some data on other inboards that might have been measured in the past for IMS, ORR or IRC. I’m pretty sure I will get to the 103, I just have to be measured.

So I’m looking for boat names mostly so I can search.

Derek Lay
    Participant

Organized Chaos was an inboard when we got it. I don’t have a measurement certificate, but if you want to look up ‘Rocking Horse’ and/or ‘Mrs. Peel’ they were the names that it had when it was in your area.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Derek..what is your sail number, assuming it has stayed the same.

Derek Lay
    Participant

Bruce – Our sail number is 31530 and hasn’t changed since it was in the US. The hull number is 189.

Ray
    Participant

Hey, guys- sorry to bring up an older thread, but this one is fairly close to something I’m considering (Newport-Bermuda). They have a stability index requirement of 115, which I’m fairly sure would require adding quite a bit of lead to the keel if I’m reading these threads correctly. Does anyone know for sure?

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Ray..I had PLENTY of experience of what you are talking about.

First…I’m doubtful you will get to 115. My ORR sistership stability (inboard BMW boat) was 100.9. This is what you will be assigned without a measurement.

You disclosed to me that you have a huge engine. This will make the cause worse! Here is my idea of what helps and what hurts.

Anything above the keel at floor level hurts the stability measuring process. It is actually the waterline, but think floor. Your engine and fuel tank will hurt.

I added 80 lbs to my keel..same shape as original..about 3″ more draft. I went from unmeasured 100.9 to a 104.1. I had to meet a 103 for Chicago Mac. You need 11 points more, plus have a much heavier engine that is above the centerline and located aft. This might mean a torpedo of 200 lbs or more. AND as an insult, they will rate you faster in the handicap. Adding 200 lbs to the keel starts to bring up structure concerns. Can the keel sump handle that weight?

I’m dropping ORR/Chicago Mac because the Port Huron/Mac is PHRF with no index required. I’ll be cutting off my 3″ of keel. The extra keel does make the boat a bit less tender, but in my opinion it screwed up the balance of the boat and as a result it seems slower.

Hate to throw water on your event, but 115 seems out of reach. Have any J/29’s done that race? They had to modify to make ORR 115 stability. It might give you an idea how much weight is needed. Hire an engineer.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Drag it north in late July..Race the Port Huron to Mackinac. It is 270 miles. We’re trying to get a bunch of Olson’s. It is not that far for you.

Ray
    Participant

Well- good thing I just started looking into this before getting my heart all set on it. I think that’s a deal killer! I really don’t understand why they have it set so high, so I’ve just emailed the BROC participation chairman to find out if there are any exceptions for such a proven design as the O-30. You’d think all those single-hand transpac races would amount to something…

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

ORR is sticking to it’s guns. They are also the rule for the Trans Pacs. Olson’s are no longer in the TransPac as they don’t meet the stability. The single handed is not ORR. (I’m pretty sure on this, but….) When ORR gets dumped…we will begin to be eligible again. Talk with Jim Teters at US Sailing about the stability rule/rating and ORR. They do want to help, but are limited in promises you will pass.

Ray
    Participant

Has there ever been a problem with these boats (or any other boat with similar dimensions) in ORR sanctioned races? I’m quite new to all this stuff (only been sailing ~ 4-5 yrs, and all of it inshore), but I don’t want to take unecessary risks.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Ray…I’m contemplating removing my Yanmar GM10. Interested? I may go outboard to solve my eligibility for the Chicago Mac stability index. It only weighs 160 lbs. It is about 10 years old and operates perfectly. Probably the price for me to get a decent used outboard 4 cycle.

Ray
    Participant

Sorry, Bruce- I think that would really cramp our inshore racing… I’d love the convenience, but not the sweat equity I’d have to shell out!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.