Lake Ontario 300

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Lake Ontario 300

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Old School 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Old School
    Participant

How many boats here are considering competing in the 300 this year? I am seriously contemplating it, and I know that at least one other is.

Al Holt
    Participant

There’s an outside chance I am. If I don’t sell my boat and if I can get the title to this trailer that Wilby brought down to Baltimore and if I don’t lose my job and if the NAs are up there at a convenient time, THEN it would be something very attractive to me.
    Al

Derek Lay
    Participant

I might be convinced to crew for the race but I doubt that the full crew would want to do the trek.

Richard Osborn
    Participant

I just got official news that the Olson 30 is going to be allowed in the Lake Ontario 300.

There was a risk of not meeting the stability rating, but we are just over 105 and the minimum is 103.

I have aloso been told that If we have a minimum of 5 boats we can have our own class.

So who is in? If we can get the minimum numbers I will provide a new trophy.
    These boats were bred for long distance racing so lets lets get out there and show them what they can do.

Richard Osborn
    Wreaking Havoc

Old School
    Participant

I am 90% sure Old School will be doing the 300.

The 300 is two weeks before the NA’s, one week after EYC @ Collins Bay, and is followed by Youngstown Levels, so it would definitely make it worth while for travelling boats to make the trip. A month of consecutive events, making two complete circumnavigations of Lake Ontario. If travellers need help delivering their boats between events, I am pretty sure we can rustle up some volunteers.

Next question…if we get a number of boats interested in the 300, should it be contested in class trim, or open it up to assy’s? So long as the sails do not affect the PHRF rating of 108, I would not be opposed to using them.

(note…Old School will most likely NOT be at levels).

EYC @ Collins Bay YC – July 12-14
    LO300 @ Port Credit – July 21-23
    Youngstown Levels July 28-29
    NA’s @ Oswego – Aug 1-5

Richard Osborn
    Participant

I vote to allow Assymetrical spins as long as they are no bigger than 180% to keep the 108 PHRF rating

Richard
    Wreaking Havoc

Old School
    Participant

Well, most of the crew is onboard. Wife has not said she is not supportive, so it looks like Old School is in!

Old School
    Participant

I have sent an email to the LO300 Safety guy about how our boats don’t completely satisfy CAT3 requirements, with some specific questions related to their mandatory minimum equipment requirements. He immediately answered that they are not in the business of limiting participation because of this stuff, but that he would get back to me about my specific questions.

Stay tuned.

Old School
    Participant

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have people willing to deliver boats from Port Credit to Oswego or Rochester for the NA’s…..

Old School
    Participant

Anybody else coming to play in the 300? It is only, what, 300 miles in a little boat. How much fun could that be!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.