List of rigging

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions List of rigging

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ray 6 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Cory Izett
    Participant

I need to replace ALL the lines, sheets, halliards, ” ROPES ” on an Olson 30 that I am trying to bring back to life. Hull # 101. As far as I know the boat is original. Is there a chart that will give me diameters, lengths, colors and types of ” rope ” to get. Also who is the best supplier as far as quality and price. ANY info would be of great help. The boat is back in the water after new bottom paint and 3 days of elbow grease on the hull and deck, But I don’t trust the condition of the lines.

Bill Vosteen
    Participant

You can always contact Dave at Pride Marine, an Olson 30 sailor at http://www.pridemarine.com/ or layline, http://www.layline.com , they’ll have most of the lengths and advice on what folks are using.

Your old lines are probably fine strength wise. You’d be amazed how bad a line has to be for the strength to e greatly compromised. Most of the strength is in the core and most of the ugliness is in the jacket.

Bill

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

From Mauri Pro:

Main Halyard (Tappered)= 5/16″ (8mm) V-100
    Jib Halyard (Tappered)= 5/16″ (8mm) V-100
    Spinnaker Halyard (Tappered)= 5/16″ (8mm) Endura Braid
    Mainsheet= 9mm Salsa
    Jib Sheet= 3/8″ (10mm) SSC SK75
    Spinnaker Sheet (Tappered)= 5/16″ (8mm) Flight Line

I would agree with all of these. I went 10mm Endura Braid for spinnaker sheets and stripped off about 1/2 of the cover. Very light, good handling, waterproof and strong. Spinnaker halyards could be VPC or even StaSet X. You don’t worry about stretch with those.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Milwaukee Rigging on Ebay has been good for Endura Braid and Dyneema content ropes. I’ve bought 66′ ‘ends’ for little money.

Rigging Only is priced good all the time, better on parts/blocks. Mauri Pro can be good as well.

Lengths:

Main: 65 plus length to cleat
    Jib: 75 plus length to cleat
    Spinnaker: 75 plus length to cleat
    Gen Sheets: 66 ft. Less if you don’t go with longer tails.
    Main Sheet: depends on your blocks. My last replace was 66 ft. (Harken double/double/single)

You can always shorten after installation..but too short = expensive dock lines

Jonathan Pollak
    Participant

Lines break and can only really be expected to have a 4 year active lifespan, tops. I would also recommend having at least one halyard you are willing to bet your life on as you will have to go up the rig. For me this means at least one new halyard per year. How you rig depends largely on how you plan on sailing? However, I don’t think that you can go wrong getting good, but not ridiculous stuff. As far as tapering…. People love to do it and shops love to push it… BUT… IMHO… It is a total waste of money for anything but top level racing. It costs more and SIGNIFICANTLY shortens line life, with only marginal payoff in highly competitive OD racing. Totally useless for PHRF. My rigging shop is Annapolis Performance Sailing [apsltd.com]. Top work and realistic real world advice. I use:

-V-100 by New England for main and jib halyard
    -MaxiBraid Plus by Yale for 2 spin halyards [anything more expensive for this application is a waste IMO including endura braid]
    -MLX by Samson for heavy spin sheets with Tylaskas
    -small diameter dynema cored line for the light sheets for .5oz chute [forget make], no shackles
    -Toping lift is amsteel
    I forget what I did the jib sheets in.

Old School
    Participant

Tapering is, imho, a worthwhile “investment” for light spin sheets. Other than them, tapering is a luxury, albeit one that I use. I do all my own rigging, and tapering is quite easy.

Tylaska’s??? On an Olson???? Now that is overkill. I only have one shackle on running rigging on my boat…on the spin halyard. Genoa halyards are mundlized versions of soft shackles. All sheets are tied.

Here is my current lineup:

Primary genoa halyard – 8mm endura braid stripped (from Milwaukee rigging, as Bruce said)
    Secondary genoa – 6mm samson sk8 (from roscoef on ebay…doesn’t carry much tech stuff now)
    Spin halyard – cheap 8mm double poly. I actually like a touch of stretch in my spin halyards. Maybe I am nutz though.

Topper – 6mm double poly. Will be stripped 4mm samson sk8 when I get around to leading it, just because I have it (old secondary genoa halyard) and it will be lighter than the poly.
    Foreguy – scrap of old 8mm poly I had laying around. My sweet bridles have long spectra leaders, so the poly is actually only about 3-5 feet from cleat to leader.

Genoa sheets – 10mm EZ-Feel from Pride Marine, which is a spun poly sheet. Very easy on the hands.
    Primary spin sheets – 6mm flight line. LOVE this stuff. from jimyoungsailing.com, but they are out of stock now.
    Heavy spin sheets – 8mm maxbraid. Seconds from hall spars…made to wrong length for another client. Only used them once, because the flight line is sweet.

Main sheet – 8mm Bzz. Salsa is suggested by most sites, but I honestly can not see its advantage in high ratio systems. Particularly when it is double the price.

The lengths that Bruces listed sound right. My spin sheets are significantly shorter than 75 feet, though, but we always launch and douse from the forward hatch. They are probably more like 60 feet. But, as Bruce stated, it is very hard making a line longer.

Jonathan Pollak
    Participant

Ha Tylaskas may be overkill, but are very nice. I use the smallest ones on my spin halyards and 10+ kt spin sheets. [the MLX sheets]. THOUGH, I didn’t buy them. They were with the boat when I got her. I probably wouldn’t invest in them from from start. I do think there is some gain from having a swiveling shackle when doing lots of sets and douses. They also come in handy when singlehanding for easily blowing the guy with a “spike” and dousing alone. I have employed this a few times and find it quite useful.

Agreed that tapering would be useful with spin sheets. If you primarily used a single set of sheets.

Ray
    Participant

Just out of curiosity- what are you guys using for control lines like boom vang, traveler and backstay (type of line and diameter)?

Old School
    Participant

(soft) Vang – 4mm (maybe 5) robline dinghy control
    traveller – 8mm double poly
    backstay – dux/spectra of varying diameters depending on how deep in the cascade it is. Final tune is 1/4 double poly

Ray
    Participant

Thank you!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.