Mast step distance

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Mast step distance

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Bruce Hubble Bruce Hubble 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jonathan Pollak
    Participant

What is the “proper” distance from the v-birth bulkhead to the mast step?

Jonathan Pollak
    Participant

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Allen
    Participant

Jonathan. I have been curious about this also. If you go back through the forum topics, you will find an old one that has several people giving their dimensions. I measured ours today to be 25 3/16″ from the forward face of the mast to the aft face of the V-berth bulkhead. I have been inclined to move the mast butt forward and based on the measurements in the old topic, I will likely move it forward about 1″. However, that will probably not be till later on this summer.

What is your distance?

Old School
    Participant

I played with my mast base a bit, and found that the furthest forward position (I forget the actual measurement) gave me quite a bit of weather-helm with my stock rudder. It might work well with the elliptical. I ended up moving mine back about an inch from max forward. I do not have the measurement handy.

Jonathan Pollak
    Participant

My mast step is…. well wherever I want to put it. I have ripped the old one out, have rebuilt the stringers in mahogany and am replacing the rotted out mahogany step with an Aluminum girder. The new step will have a bit less then an inch each way. So looking for a good neutral position.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

The answer to the distance is how much prebend was designed in for your main.

Im now near 25″ and getting near an inch of prebend. I’m using 27 on the rod loos guage.

Next spring, im going back another 1/2 inch to get a full 1″ or better of bend.

I have just a bit too much bubble in th luff of the main.

So, move it aft to flatten your main. Use anti sieze to get your shrouds tight.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.