Mast wedges

Home Forums Hardware & Setup Technical Mast wedges

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jim Saylor 3 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jean Andre
    Participant

Does everyone uses mast wedges where the mast passes through the deck?
    Any specific size or just put some wooden wedge shim until it fits?

Thanks

fitzee
    Participant

I picked up some wedges (shims) at Home Depot in the window and door department. They are made from a tough material…looks like tan colored nylon and are about 1″ by 4″ give or take. I lightly tapped them in all around the mast from the bottom side…don’t overdo it as you could either put a dent in your mast or put the mast out of column. Make sure to put a ss hose clamp around the bottom ends of the wedges or they will work themselves out. And then tape over the clamp. And then boot or tape the mast on the topside. I’ve used this set-up for 3 years and they are still where I put them. Good luck.

Jason Adamson
    Participant

I do not have any wedges in my mast. The opening for the mast is pretty tight as is. I’m not really sure there is a need for wedges to be honest.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Todd Downey told me he uses one partner. I can’t recall if it’s at the front or the rear.

Jim Saylor
    Participant

In Hawaii we generally sail in plenty of breeze so we set up with little mast rake. We have wedges on the after side of the partner so we can bend the rig without adding rake. Helps keep the weather helm down.

fitzee
    Participant

My theory for using wedges is that since my mast has the dreaded hole for electrical drilled in the front of the mast, mast bend would be limited to the section above deck level. I’m not sure how this works out in practice but my thinking is that the less tension I put on the forward side of the mast in the area of that hole the better. No cracks yet and I want to keep it that way. Does this make sense to anyone else?

Jim Saylor
    Participant

Gary, The partners act as a fulcrum. Any bend will put tension in that area. Better to weld or sleeve it and get the bend you need.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.