Masthead plate

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Masthead plate

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Piotr 4 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Participant

Hey, guys- I haven’t been able to locate a thread describing this, but does anyone have a simple solution to adding a wind transducer to the masthead on an original Ballenger mast? My masthead is already occupied with a tri-color nav light, vhf antenna and windex, but there doesn’t to be much more room for a wind transducer. I am guessing a plate may be needed to accommodate more “stuff”, so I am wondering if there is something that most Olson’s are using. Here is a photo of one of the transpac guys (please ignore the stuffed animal..)

Ray

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

I used a strip of aluminum. Screwed it into the top and extended it out the front. Make it thick enough to avoid bounce. A double piece would avoid bounce if bolted hard. About an 8″ strip by 1″ should do it. 5″ on the mast and 3″ out front. That’s my recollection, not actual!

I notched the bottom of the light to fit over the aluminum. Mounted the antenna on the side of the mast. Windex aft of the light.

I also mounted a Melges 32 flicker!

Ray
    Participant

Thanks, Bruce- glad I like making stuff! I like the idea of a flicker, too- luckily we don’t have a ton of light air days around here!

Piotr
    Participant

I just went through this myself.
    I got the antenna off to the side, and replaced the light with LED, that can have wind vane screwed in on the top and got the B&G junk on a center line forward. Hope this helps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.