N/As con’t

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions N/As con’t

This topic contains 27 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Derek Lay 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

terry webster
    Participant

We need more thoughts on the N/As is loyalist cove a good option . What date would best suit our members. PLEASE WEIGH IN ON THIS TOPIC .

Dave Savard
    Participant

Here’s the opinion of Surfer Girl’s crew (aka Victrix):

Loyalyst Cove is a good option for us, we propose aug 29th to sept 1st

We need to know how many boats are willing to participate…

Derek, can you send an E-mail out to try to have better weight-in on the forum.

Dave.

Old School
    Participant

Obviously non-owner, but unbaised observers input here.

Just as a note of interest:

Racing around Amherst is the logical LD course. On Sept 13 LCYC will be hosting their annual Amherst Pursuit Race. This is a fun local race that brings out most of the Kingston area keelboat racers. http://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?page=racing_amherst_info

They will already have a BBQ and party set up for this race. It might be an ideal event to tie into…will really cut down on the entertainment logistics.

Cons:1) LD race is on Sat, not beginning of event
    2) It will be a mixed fleet, with staggered starts. There are not many boats in the area that rate 108, so the Olson’s will have their own start. You would have to contend with other boats around the course, but in my opinion, this would actually add to the race, not subtract!
    3) Auto and boat parking will be tight. Will need to raft on Fri and Sat.

Derek Lay
    Participant

Dave – thanks for sending the e-mail. I’ve duplicated my comments here for simplicity. Hopefully we can keep the discussion in one place to reduce confusion.

My main concerns with an Olson-only regatta like whatever we would put together at Loyalist are the potential costs, and what happens if too few boats commit. By joining a larger regatta, we share the costs of on- and off-water regatta management (RC, PRO, jury, etc), entertainment, and other expenses with the other fleets. Whether a smaller regatta like the one we joined in Barrie, or a larger one like LYRA or the Youngstown Can-Am, the cost per boat for the overhead is significantly reduced over a ‘regatta’ with 5-8 boats. Further to that, if too few boats commit at the end of the day, our vacation and travel plans aren’t for naught, and we just join as a handicap entry. LYRA last year wasn’t as fun as a OD regatta might have been, but it definitely beat staying home on the couch!

While we would prefer that the NAs be part of a larger regatta, we will not rule out Loyalist if it proves to be viable and enough boats commit. Is there a boat willing to take on host function and carry out the liaison and planning required to make Loyalist work? If so, how early can we develop an estimated registration fee and firm up dates?

To answer Dave’s implied question about preferred venues so that we can narrow the options, we prefer ABYC, Ottawa and Youngstown in that order.

Derek

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Derek makes good points about joining in with a larger event. Plus the opportunity to cross paths with people from outside the class you haven’t seen in a while obviously improves.

Loyalist could be fun but Labor Day weekend is traditionally a big family weekend for lots of people. And not keen on ramp launching.

My preferences is for Youngstown in late July with the addition of a 30 mile day race or Toronto late July/early August.

Jonathan

terry webster
    Participant

We need more boats preferences for location of the N/As so we can get focused. The object is to get the biggest fleet possible.There seam to be only 4 of us involved so far how do we contact the others? We need at least 5 for Youngstown to be considered. I will go to either Youngstown or Loyalist.I talked to Loyalist on Fri. they will do what ever we want to host the N/As there ie: $25 travel lift launch,party,any date that suits us including Sept.,possible parring with Soling or their around Amherst regattas,entrance fees and launching not to exceed $200. I think this location would give us the most boats as their are ,2 in Kingston,1 in Montreal,1 in Ottawa,1 in Rochester,a few in eastern U.S.,and all of us from eastern lake Ontario.Could be great but we need to know who would come and what their preference is

Dave Savard
    Participant

Hi Guys,
    here are the favorites sites up to now:

Surfer Girl (Victrix)
    1st choice Loyalist
    2nd choice Ottawa

O Naturel
    1st Choice Loyalist
    2nd choice —

Flying Monkeys
    1st choice Loyalist
    2nd choice —

Oganised Chaos
    1st choice Toronto
    2nd choice Ottawa
    (But Would Go To Loyalist if choosen)

Ritalin
    1st choice Loyalist or Youngstown
    2st choice Loyalist or Youngstown
    (Terry: Could you specify you best pick?)

Attractive Nuisance
    1st choice Yougnstown
    2nd choice Toronto
    (Jonathan: if Loyalist is chosen but dates are outside of labor day, would it be okay for you?)

What is the best date for everybody? We need to have a fixed date and commitment from Loyalist so everybody can vote. Here are the other boats that need to be contacted. I have everybody’s email:

Investor’s Group
    The Bad Dog
    Aliens Ate My Buick
    Panther
    Old School
    Spar Wars
    Wrecking Havoc
    Northern Girl
    Spar Wars
    Ghost
    Kestrel
    Slice
    Jolly Roger
    Status Quo
    Ol Yeller
    Light Foot
    Gusto
    Hang On Sloopy
    Ellen O
    Long Gone
    Monkey Business

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

I can probably make August 29-31 at Loyalist work as long as we’re not racing on Monday, September 1. Will be harder getting crew on that weekend but if that’s when it has to be… Obviously the weekends of the Can-Am (7/25-27) and LYRA (8/1- ) are okay for me. Other okay dates include June 11–13, August 22–24, September 12–14, October 3–5 and October 17–19. Others are possible but something would have to give.

Jean Andre
    Participant

Hi All,
    I am new Olson owner, my boat is Clarice M. (former Corsair).
    I am not sure I can make it right now with the boat, but I sure would like to attend an Olson event. Youngstown and Loyalist are the best options for me, with or without a boat.
    Cheers
    Jean Andre

Dave Savard
    Participant

Hi Jean,

Welcome to the fleet! Could you send me your e-mail and location so I can keep the North-East Olson list up to date?

Thanks,

Dave.

Jean Andre
    Participant

Hi Dave,

jeanbrzdesign a t Gmail

I am from St. Louis, MO and sail mostly at Carlyle Lake, IL

I am planning on doing the Solo Mackinac Challenge this June and I will be sailing around Lake Michigan with friends this April.

Cheers

Jean

Derek Lay
    Participant

Jean – Welcome to the fleet! Lake Michigan in April? Brrrrr. Do you have skis for your Olson? :)

All – We would prefer to have a regatta before 1 September as well. Weekend regattas are OK after that, but it’s significantly easier to coordinate the logistics for a 3-4 day event during the summer. The Can-Am and LYRA weekends are the optimal time for us, regardless of location.

Derek

Dave Savard
    Participant

All – Maybe we could narrow the options by considering only 2 weekends. So we would have 4 choices:
    Canam on july 26-27
    Lyra on july 26 to aug 3
    Loyalist on july 24-27
    Loyalyst on july 31 to aug 3

Any Thoughts?

Terry – can you Confirm with loyalist that these Two weekends would be ok?

terry webster
    Participant

How would a 3 day regatta Sept. 12 to 14 at Loyalist work for everyone. Have we heard from any of the other boats Dave

Dave Savard
    Participant

Hi Terry,
    I exchanged some E-mails with Bruce Rand (O’Naturel), Bryan Sims (Panther) and Tom Bolland (Flying Monkeys). Here are their feedback:

Bruce:
    Dates are flexible at this point. Loyalist is my 1st choice only because of cost and the possibility that we will have 2 Kingston boats and I’m sure Terry(Ritalin) will commit making it 3. We could likely do all venues on lake ontario but no other.

Bryan:
    Sorry guys just got back from the uk now in the us. Later in the season is best but we will support and go to either venue.

Tom:
    Our Barrie boat wants to race after being in the barn all of last summer.
    Personally, my preference is for Loyalist in September.

I Agree with Derek that recruiting a crew after august is more difficult.

Best dates for Derek (Organised Chaos) AND Jonathan (Attractive Nuisance) are 25-26-27 July and August 1-2-3 (those of LYRA and CANAM)

Considering all of this, I propose to set up a vote with 4 possibilities:

Canam on july 26-27
    Lyra on july 26 to aug 3
    Loyalist on july 25-26-27
    Loyalyst on august 1-2-3

I Think that the vote should be on our 1st and 2nd choices and that boats commit to go to either venue he voted for. I have a complete E-mail list of Every Olson Owners.

What do you think?

Dave.

terry webster
    Participant

I think our best turn out was in Sept in Barrie so we should offer that at Loyalist. the other times you suggest for Loyalist conflict with other regattas that some of us would like to sail too

Dave Savard
    Participant

We need to agree on a date for loyalist.

Terry suggest Sept 12-13-14.

Awaiting everyone’s feedback.

We must setup a vote soon.

Dave.

Derek Lay
    Participant

Terry – what other regattas are you sailing in Jul/Aug?

All – Before we vote, I’d like to know what is being proposed for Loyalist. The other regattas are known commodities, with established organization, professional race management, sponsorship, and entertainment. While showing up at a location and racing around some fixed marks can make for a decent regatta, I’m not sure it is what comes to mind when I think of an NAs. Can someone outline the plan so that we know what to expect? Thanks

Derek

Dave Savard
    Participant

Terry – Since you probably have better knowledge than me of Loyalist and that you already started some discussions with them, Il’ll let you answer Derek’s question…

Bruce Rand – Do you have some inpout regarding Loyalist, Maybey you can help on that one?

terry webster
    Participant

Loyalist has hosted the Soling Canadians many times with a good race committee and mark boats.I have raced in the regatta with the likes of Hans Fogh ( Canadian Olympic medalist ) Stuart Walker (Sailing hall of fame )and a list of other rock stars.We found the area to be excellent for racing, good wind and flat water.Parties were arranged under tents with bands. I suggest we need a least 7 boats to make this a stand alone,or it can be paired up with a Soling or around Amherst regatta,there is some flexibility.Best place to get boats in and out,great people to deal with and my favorite place to sail.Derek I also sail on a Farr 44 so maybe lyra and the Can-Ams in Olsons if there are enough ,

Bruce Rand
    Participant

The Loyalist venue will work and they have demonstrated that they can pull it off. The owner is a part owner of IG and has bent over backwards to make all the Soling regattas I have attended as both competitor and race management officer in the past. We also have access to some high caliber race management capability in the immediate vicinity. I’m guessing the Loyalist venue will guarantee 3 boats out of the gate, Onaturel, IG and Ritalin. The Can Am challenge does look like an interesting venue, but I seriously doubt we will see a competitor commitment based on location. In the past, it has been difficult for the Canadian group to field crews to compete in a US venue. Oswego, LYRA was a good example, boats were available but just couldn’t coordinate to get full crews and deal with border issues. It also a difficult venue based on the strong Niagara river currents and length of time just getting to racing areas. It is listed as 2 day regatta and I’m skeptical of the quality of racing that we will be offered.

A venue in Ottawa will also limit some of the LO boats. I suspect that IG will not commit to travel and personally We will have an issue trailering any distance this year.

Yes we need to finalize a location and see if we can get a commitment from a race management team immediately if Loyalist is chosen.

Both Terry and I have had contact with Dave Hinton (IG and Loyalist) and will try and work collaboratively.

Terry, can you send me some contact information so we can chat outside the forum for logistic issues.

Bruce

Bruce Rand
    Participant

The Loyalist venue will work and they have demonstrated that they can pull it off. The owner is a part owner of IG and has bent over backwards to make all the Soling regattas I have attended as both competitor and race management officer in the past. We also have access to some high caliber race management capability in the immediate vicinity. I’m guessing the Loyalist venue will guarantee 3 boats out of the gate, Onaturel, IG and Ritalin. The Can Am challenge does look like an interesting venue, but I seriously doubt we will see a competitor commitment based on location. In the past, it has been difficult for the Canadian group to field crews to compete in a US venue. Oswego, LYRA was a good example, boats were available but just couldn’t coordinate to get full crews and deal with border issues. It also a difficult venue based on the strong Niagara river currents and length of time just getting to racing areas. It is listed as 2 day regatta and I’m skeptical of the quality of racing that we will be offered.

A venue in Ottawa will also limit some of the LO boats. I suspect that IG will not commit to travel and personally We will have an issue trailering any distance this year.

Yes we need to finalize a location and see if we can get a commitment from a race management team immediately if Loyalist is chosen.

Both Terry and I have had contact with Dave Hinton (IG and Loyalist) and will try and work collaboratively.

Terry, can you send me some contact information so we can chat outside the forum for logistic issues.

Bruce

Dave Savard
    Participant

All – I had the same input from Scot Mundle about Loyalist regarding the Excellent Race Comitee and easy access to boats and marks. We need to have an official commitment from Loyalist that they can host NA’s, and dates that will guaratee availability of Race Comitee. We also need ton establish pricing for RC, tent, BBQs and trophys. If it works, We will also have to write down Notices of race, Race instructions and forms wich shoult not be an issue.

Personally and don’t really care of having a Big event with with sponsors if we can do it on our own for the same price. The event would for sure be smaller but I think it can still be proffessional and as fun as any other event on the list. If pricing is good for 5 boats and we can have an official cimmitment from LCYC, I think we can do it. If it turns out to be too expensive, we will have to drop this option.

Bruce an Terry – We will be awaiting news from you.

All – I suggest to establish a limit date to have commitment from LCYC and final logistic information. I propose februray 23rd. This way, we would be able to conduct the poll before march 1st.

Dave.

terry webster
    Participant

Bruce my contact info:home 905-309-3964 Office 905-648-9959 Cell 905-517-5047

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Regarding Sept 12-13-14 at Loyalist… This sounds like a pretty good date and venue. Relatively good turnout the last time the NAs were in September and not in conflict with LYRA or the Can-AMs which some may want to do.
    Jonathan

Dave Savard
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Bruce and Terry: What’s going on with Loyalist? Do wa have any developpements? Two weeks passed since our last dsicussions. Many people need to book their holidays/vacations before april 1st. Personally, I think that we need to organise the poll this week or the next in order to have enough boats on the line.

What do you think?

Do we have enough informations to include Loyalist as a venue for the NAC?

Dave Savard
    Participant

Bruce and Terry had commitment from Loyalist.
    The poll is now running and will be until march 7 18h00 ET.
    If you did not received instructions to vote yet and if you are strongly interested to engage your boat into one of the venues listed below, let me know.

CAN-AM Challenge
    Youngstown Yacht Club, Youngstown, USA
    July 26 – 27 (Course Racing)
    Need to add LD race on July 25

LYRA 2014
    Ashbridge’s Bay Yacht Club, Toronto
    July 31, Aug 1 – 2 – 3

Olson 30 Stand Alone Event
    Loyalist Marina, Bath (near Kingston)
    September 12-13-14

Dave

Derek Lay
    Participant

Our vote is cast. Thanks for setting up the poll Dave!

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.