NA’s Event Discussion

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions NA’s Event Discussion

This topic contains 34 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Old School 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Todd is correct. Every boat, NOR or not, should have individual harnesses, jacklines, lights for each crew harness with whistle; mandatory life jackets at night; MOB poles with strobe/drogue/life ring; EPIRB; mandatory paper charts; GPS; Parachute flares/handheld flares; radar reflector. Mandatory knife for each crew as well has a cockpit knife. Engines mandatory with a fuel range of 2x the width of the lake. Extra battery for when your lights go dim from use. You don’t have a way to charge your battery. If you lose your rig..cutters and tools to toss the rig quickly! VHF base unit and a separate handheld.

On another note: two mains are not legal in most rules. Reef points..you should rig them if you don’t usually use them. If you have none…they can be retro’d at the sailmaker.

Look at the equipment necessary for the Chicago Mac Race. You are one thunderstorm away from hoping your crew stays on board. The capsize in the ChiMac last year was spotted ONLY because of a strobe. http://www.racetomackinac.com Look for the documents..MSR for monohulls. Help from the Coast Guard will be a couple of hours if you are lucky. Other boats may be in as much trouble as you are.

Last…cell phones with a link to weather radar.

Hate to throw water on equipping your boat minimally, but offshore at night is a survival trip. I agree again with Todd…to reduce safety for a minimal stability boat (103 is min for ChiMac) that rates around 105 stability at best, is questionable. Especially with no reef points. I trust the Olson as much as anyone. But the responsibility to make the crew AND myself have the best chances in the worst case scenerio is mine. I do question the organizer on your waivers…minimal night gear is a must.

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Attractive Nuisance will be Cat 3 (no raft) compliant.
    Jonathan

Old School
    Participant

Monday July 23rd is the early registration deadline for LYRA to receive the discount and free friday dinner. Also if you are interested in the Caribbean Feast on Saturday, August 4th tickets can be purchased on line at http://www.lyra2012.org. Click on “Registration” then “pre-order dinner and drinks”.

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Just lost one crew so if anyone is interested or knows of someone who might be, they should let me know. Jonathan

Old School
    Participant

It looks like Old School will be racing with five, so you won’t be alone…

With the generous support of the Association, I have ordered some regatta hats for our fleet. I will have 45 available at the awards ceremony. I don’t have the final bill yet, but they will be less than $10 each. Be sure to get yours… I certainly don’t need them all!

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.