New outboard choices

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions New outboard choices

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Nelson Passos 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

John Schnellback
    Participant

Need to replace my outboard, Seems like all we can buy in Canada now is 4 strokes, All in the 5 hp range seem to be 55 to 60 lbs dry. Has anybody got any recomendations or know of something i missed out on. Prefer a 5 hp to meet Piya and other catagory for distance racing. Thx John

fitzee
    Participant

John, I’ve been very happy with my Tohatsu 6hp Sail Pro. It’s a 4 stroke (amazingly low fuel consumption compared with my old 4 hp 2 stroke). The shaft is 25″ which is something I really like….I don’t know if you have ever had to motor in a big following sea but I have with my short shaft 2 stroke. The sound of the motor revving whenever the prop came clear of the water (every wavecrest) made me nuts. Not that won’t happen with the long shaft but those extra 10″ do make a difference. Also comes with a high-thrust prop and alternator (haven’t found use for that yet) Weight is 55 lbs. and since I’m not racing OD it stays on the bracket anyway. Tohatsu also makes this motor for Mercury and I believe Mariner but those brands sell for a premium. Good luck on your search.

Jason Adamson
    Participant

I second the Tohatsu 6HP. Mine is just the standard Long Shaft but it is great. Low consumption, low price and reliable. Pushes the boat right along at 6.5-7kts. Check out tohatsuamerica.com free shipping, no sales tax.

John Schnellback
    Participant

Thanks fellows looks like the Tohatsu may be the winner looks good online will check one out on the weekend. Thx John

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Glomming onto this thread because I can’t seem to post a new topic… Anyone recognize the boat in the picture? Or more importantly, the outboard bracket and where I can get one? I’m tired of having to lean all the way over the stern to get the outboard into position.
    Thanks, Jonathan

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Plate made by Garelick? In which case, the West Marine site suggests the 71040 will work.

Old School
    Participant

Yes, that is the plate that most of us have. The stock garelick mount has to be modified, as it is designed for a vertical transom. (see attached pic for the issue with a non-modified mount). I had a machine shop make an angled plate that connects the tangs to the motor plate.

The mount in the original image has very long tangs… much longer than mine. I wish mine were longer…does this qualify as tang envy?

Nelson Passos
    Participant

I am very happy with my Yamaha F4A, 4 hp. It weighs 48-50 lbs and very ecconomic, one of the few outboard around that guives you a choice of internal and external tank with the flip of a switch. I understand the F4A can be converter to a 6HP by changing 3 carb jets and switching from the conventional coil to a CDI coil. The electrical is very simple, just few wires. I can contantly average 7 kts with 6 adults on board, no problem

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.