New Owner Hull #111

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions New Owner Hull #111

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Marc Nachman Marc Nachman 3 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Marc Nachman
    Marc Nachman
    Participant

Hi, I’m the new owner of Hull # 111. Now named Zephyr and formerly known as Bow Down.

I have a fair amount of racing knowledge but haven’t raced an ULDB before. I would appreciate any tips you guys have. Especially related to the flukie winds on our high mountain lake.

My home port will be at the Watauga Lake Sailing Club on Watauga Lake, TN. There are about 40 boats on the sail dock and about 15 participate in the racing program. There is a J27 that wins most races. I hope to change that. If I can get a regular racing crew, I hope to campaign Zephyr in 2016.

I am looking forward to hearing other Olson 30 owners.

Best Regards,

Marc Nachman

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Welcome! Go get that J27!

Bill Vosteen
    Participant

The main tip I would recommend for fluky winds is to try to maintain a steady course and have your trimmers do most of the work. Changing course in light air kills your speed more in a uldb than a heavier boat. Good luck!

Bill Vosteen
    Participant

Also, don’t pinch!!

Marc Nachman
    Marc Nachman
    Participant

Thanks SWG and Bill Vosteen. I appreciate the encouragement and tips.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Love that Bill Vosteen is still posting here and it’s many years since he had an Olson 30! We need all the help we can get!

Bill Vosteen
    Participant

Once an Olson 30 captures your heart and mind, it becomes a lifetime relationship whether you own a boat or not. Truly a great boat.

Jim Saylor
    Participant

It takes some time to get rid of the old “put the rail down and power to weather.”
    Keep it moving and keep it flat. In a breeze the traveler rarely leaves my hand.

Marc Nachman
    Marc Nachman
    Participant

Thanks one and all for the kind words and great tips.

Ray
    Participant

Hey, Marc- welcome! I’ve raced in Charleston in a big phrf fleet (against J120’s, several beneteau’s, J111, etc…)- you’ll excel in light air, which I’m sure you may already know and should be able to out-point just about everyone, but will suffer ddw and can get waterlined very easily (my experience against lots of boats with asyms). What the previous owner of my boat advised me (and I learned the hard way) is never let the boat heel more than about 15 deg- you’ll really start sliding sideways, more than most boats do. Good luck!

Ray

Marc Nachman
    Marc Nachman
    Participant

Thanks for the great advice Ray.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.