New Owner #108

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions New Owner #108

This topic contains 15 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by SWG SWG 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Folks,

Introducing myself as a new (part) owner of hull #108. Formerly “Lake Effect” from Ohio. I believe it was “Hellion” before that, possibly out of Michigan. There was some water damage in the core around the stanchions and the boat was laid up for about a decade, stored indoors, repairs were begun, then stalled. It was fairly recently put back together. It’s a bit of a time capsule. Every piece of paperwork and documentation has stayed with the boat, original brochures and manuals for the electronics, heaps of interesting reading. The boat has the Brown Marine inboard which (for now) we plan to keep. A huge pile of sails, many are good, some not good but a very decent starting point on sails. Rig seems to be very good. The owner in Ohio seems like he really loved the boat and kitted it out very well for the time. Instruments are outdated but I bet they’ll be fine. Our crew is 4 guys who sail together casually and we’re a syndicate in the boat. We’ll race wednesdays out of APSC in Toronto and we’re planning to do a couple regattas and a distance race on the Lake. Excited! Here are some photos we took today:

http://www.germansupply.com/Scotts_Folder/Olson30/Olson_30_108

Piotr
    Participant

Congrats, Looks good,
    it would be a good idea to clean the keel bolts and tighten them.
    Have fun!

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

brilliant, yes – we’ll be removing the cabin sole at some point soon and have a look at the keel attachment. for now the fun will be limited to working on the boat – not as fun and the sailing we’re going to but still fun.

piotr, i have looked at your gallery and it’s fantastic. i especially appreciate the work you did on the cabinets, very clean and well designed, they retain the original design intent of the interior but they’re a bit of an update.

i noticed something in the photo of your jockstrap, it looks like the backing plate at the bulkhead has a 90° tang on it where the cable attaches? maybe i am not reading the photo properly but this looks like a structural ‘mistake’ to me. the 90° tang will easily flex under the kind of load that the strap is supposed to be resisting and hamper the efficiency of the strap. you could box the existing tang, or have the cable attached to the backing plate completely in sheer, but that might require a different plate than what is in the photo.

we may be listing some of the surplus sails in the classified ads before too long. most of what we’ll be letting go of are delivery or beer can quality but might have some ‘better’ sails also.

Steven Lewis
    Steven Lewis
    Participant

Welcome, congrats! I am also a new(ish) owner of #81 from Oregon.I know the original owner of your boat. It was formerly Hellion, out of Grosse Ile MI. He bought the boat new and the brown Tecumseh thingy was a kit developed shortly after the introduction of the Olson. He said it was a motor, some parts and a plan. He and some others did the install. He often says to me “I should never have sold that boat. Fastest I’ve ever gone on a sailboat” He traded the boat in in Ohio on a new Soverel 39. I informed him of your purchase. He was glad to hear she’ll be back racing again. It’s in overall very good shape. Good find, Congrats, and keep posting.

Steve #81

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Steve, that’s so awesome that you know Hellion and her owner! I know this name because i have a photocopy of the ad when Hellion’s owner sold it (or was trying to sell perhaps), the ad came in the paperwork pile with the boat. asking $25,900 whenever that was was, maybe 1994 or so. i have a survey of Lake Effect from 1994 which is possibly around when it went to OH. the brilliant thing is i can now trace the ownership from new, that makes me quite content. i have tried to get in touch with the Lake Effect owner but haven’t had luck yet – bill vosteen who posts here knows that owner and some of the history. will post an image of the Hellion ad at some point. i found two other Olson 30’s named Hellion, both on the west coast.

since the boat was Hellion it has lost the head (head is noted on the ad) and the stove (tracks are still present). i wonder if Hellion’s owner outfitted the boat mostly as it sits now. they were careful in the way they installed the electronics and other items.

We’re keeping the inboard, at least for now. the installation is competently done. needs some TLC but overall professionally installed, they did a good job. I have the installation manual which i will scan and pdf for future reference. it’s pretty funny, about 100 typewritten pages some crude diagrams. can’t be many of the inboards left but a few i bet. Lake Effect’s owner (according to bill vosteen) never had any complaints about the inboard.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

I have a diesel inboard..just for a reference in the future.

I would get all of the wiring OUT of the mast base. Mine runs from the nav station, across the roof to the mast. If you have a mast with side holes in it..have your wires exit there. Water and wiring don’t mix in the bilge!

If you have a mast with a hole in the front…consider getting that hole welded shut. I’ve seen several masts that crack horizontally from that hole. Probably due to babystay/mast pumping action. Side holes don’t ‘work’ and appear to be solid.

Fix those chain plates! I lost a mast on a 33′ boat once. I didn’t know mine were elongating. Wood doublers and large washers? Metal backers…not so good if the bulkhead has dry rot problems. It won’t hold.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Port Huron to Mackinac 2015!

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

thanks for suggestions about the wiring.

not sure what hole you are referring to to weld closed. the babystay pickup point, up the mast?

chain plates – we will be removing the plates and we’ll see what needs to be done. the holes look decent but you never know, once it’s apart we’ll see more. what are some of the ways people remedy the bulkhead if it’s starting to fail? we will put a jockstrap.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Port Huron to Mackinac sounds awesome!

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Bruce,

i see something: in my gallery the caption for the chainplate photo originally had a typo. it said something that could be interpreted to mean the chainplate holes WERE elongated. they are not elongated, at least they don’t appear to be, but we have not taken the screws out yet. but i kind of read your post and couldn’t understand your alarm. anyhow, wanted to clarify. i corrected the typo.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Mast holes are below deck level. If you have one on the front side, consider having it welded shut. Cracks have been known to start there. Be aware is my message.

My mast is a replacement and has a hole on each side down below. Wiring exits. I only have a steaming light and the masthead light now. Using a tack tick wireless wind direction/speed instrument.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

boat is far away from me which is inconvenient and frustrating, but i will probably be going there most weekends to tinker. will look for the holes you refer to.

curious – on the port huron to mack race, what do people typically do on the return delivery?

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

I trailer to Port Huron. I live in N Michigan, so my return delivery is only 50 miles to next regatta in Harbor Springs. You could trailer from Mackinaw City back home if you have a delivery driver. Otherwise…just a great sail back!

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Bruce: your boat has the open transom/cockpit re-do right? in the thread you have on sailinganarchy the photos are all x’d out and not appearing. i wanted to look at how you did the backstay below decks, that was pretty slick. could you send a link to some pictures?

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

I have made a little progress on #108. we have drydock insurance. i managed to figure out, with the help of a small engine parts vendor and a LOT of head-scratching, the model # of the tecumseh 10HP motor and i’ve ordered some bits and pieces to do a little service to it, carb kit and tuneup stuff. i have an appointment at UK sails next week to inspect the existing sail inventory. i have started the process of getting the PHRF-LO certificate.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

i made contact with the original owner of #108, he bought it new. he wrote:

Dear SWG,

I would be glad to chat with you about the Olson.
    A friend and I installed the engine,we did scrape out the core and place epoxy
    West System inside the hole where the shaft came thru the hull for reinforcement.
    We installed the inside tracks for the #3 sail
    Our PHRF rating back then was 96.
    We also had to install a portapotty in the bow, only place available(Canadian rules)
    Factory refused to install engine or head at that time. They said you could use the
    holes the transom for your feet and hang over the back of the boat for #2.
    One of the weaknesses of the Olson was heavy air beat in high waves with that
    rating so we installed Kevlar flatter #3 and Kevlar Main. That took care of that.
    Greatest thrill sailing, we hit 20 knots broad reach with chute up in the Mills Race.
    Give me a call at 734-XXX-XXXX
    Great sailing, Bob We sure did

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.