Olson Nationals

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Olson Nationals

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Jason Adamson 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jim Saylor
    Participant

He Gang,
    Let do a Nationals this year. How About SF Bay? Who’s in???

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Jim,

The gang doesn’t seem to be listening, which is unfortunate.

Jim Saylor
    Participant

Unfortunate it is. A great boat that can compete with most any PHRF fleet yet getting a few boats together for a two day Nationals gets little response. How many Olson 30’s are on the Bay??? I bet its over 20.

Jason Adamson
    Participant

I think people have gone complacent in that they enjoy their boats and enjoy racing PHRF but look at Nationals as something beyond them. Unfortunately our OD rules are pretty lax and result in many modifications to the boats that are probably skirting a very thin line on legal. But when raced in PHRF they can get by and no one is the wiser. But beyond that I think most of the boats that sail PHRF have seen better days and would require an investment the owners are not willing to make to race competitively in OD. There are plenty of good boats available for purchase, but that requires an investment that people right now just don’t have.
    Having said that, last year we had 6 Olson’s signed up for our local Charity Regatta, 5 raced, and it was a great time. If anyone is interested I’m sure we could add a day to the regatta and make it a Nationals event. This year it is scheduled for Aug 20 & 21, DPYC Charity Regatta Weather that time is usually very pleasant with winds between 10-15knts typical. Racing is outside the harbor so swell and waves are available for those whom prefer it.
    The class has seen a decline these past 2 years, possibly due to lack of class management. I mean who’s our president anyways???? I’d love to see even 8-10 boats on the line but I will settle with 5-7. Whomever interested let me know and I will talk with the organizers and figure something out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.