Parting out An Olson 30

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Parting out An Olson 30

This topic contains 53 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Ray 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 31 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Dari: does it have the tracks for the stove? Mine are missing and I have to use the stove in the Chicago Mac. I bought some dinghy track, but it isn’t the same.

Dari
    Participant

Bruce, no Tracks…it looks like this cabin had a completely different design…as there is also no cutout for the sink….

Dari
    Participant

I have not tested the electronics, I have to get a new battery installed…

d

Curt Rodgers
    Participant

I’d be interested if of couse they work. Looks like speed, wind, depth, compass. If you could give me the model # I can determine how old it is.

Dari
    Participant

The system model number seems to be 103AC Sailcon And I really need to sell the whole thing as a UNIT…so the Wind Transducer, Depth, Speed and the 4 screens.

There is also a remote control for the unit.

d

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

The 103 Sailcomp is a standalone unit..from the picture it has two readouts..I have a Sailcomp on my boat and two previous boats…BEST tool you can have on the boat. Has countdown; records head/lift and is a digital compass. It has a fluxgate compass unit; cables and control unit and a 4 button topside control. It does have capabilities to communicate, but I’ve never thought they were necessary. The other instruments are NOT a part of the Sailcomp. Sailcomp was made by KVH..they have sold out to someone, but still on the market. Excellent! (only one readout is needed) the other can be sold separately as a remote to an existing owner or as a replacement part.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

When you remove the Sailcomp: DO NOT CUT ANY WIRES! The wiring is very sensitive!

Dari
    Participant

I hear ya…but It looks like the system also has the wind/depth/speed instruments plugged into the system.

I AM NOT CUTTING ANY WIRES!

But I do not want to split the other two screens from the system.

d

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

I’m guessing they are NOT connected. The white box next to the breakers belongs to the sailcomp, not those other instruments. The fluxgate has two spare wires in its wire setup that can connect to NMEA 0183 devices. It would only show things like MAYBE true wind. Limited ‘sentences’ in the sailcomp. In any case, the wind instrument/depth/speed are not connected to the white sailcomp box. There is no plug in on the white box for ‘other’. Two plugs are used by the readouts and one goes to the pushbuttons. The other is a hardwire. Be gentle unplugging them..squeeze first and pull. I use pliers for the squeeze, but gently. $300 to $350 for the sailcomp with ONE readout. Probably can get $100 for the second readout and $50 or so for the double bracket. (ebay guesses)

WOW! Just checked out NEW: $1300!! OUCH! The above prices would be VERY good.

Info:

The world’s most popular tactical racing compass

The accurate and dependable Sailcomp 103AC is the most widely used, electronic tactical sailing instrument available today. Ideal for racing sailors, the Sailcomps waterproof, remote display provides easy-to-read heading, windshift, and off-course steering information wherever you need it the most. And its standard NMEA 0183 output allows it to interface with other onboard equipment, including radar, autopilots, plotters, PC software, Loran, and GPS. With its simple keypad and easy-to-read display, essential navigation data, and superb compatibility, Sailcomp gives you the edge you need to win races!

Highlights:

•Easy-to-install components designed to military quality standards

•Automatic compensation ensures the highest degree of accuracy (0.5°)

•Waterproof, backlit LCD display with large numerals offers clear viewing during both day and night; additional displays may be added wherever they are needed

•Interfaces with other NMEA 0183-compatible equipment; links to Loran or GPS to display cross-track error, distance to waypoint, and bearing to waypoint information

•Simple, remote push-button selection of head/lift, starting timer, and off-course modes

Specifications:
    •Output Type: NMEA 0183

Dari
    Participant

I see what you are saying, there are TWO systems installed…one does just the Compass functions and the other is all about the speed/depth/wind.

I just assumed the plugged the sail comp into the other system to be able to display true and apparent.

Well, maybe I can just split the two systems. Heck, I just put my TackTic on the Melges, so maybe I will keep the Sailcomp and put it on Speedster.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Great unit! Easier to read than the TackTic. Easier to use. Sell the extra readout and make yourself a new single bracket.

John Churchill
    Participant

I would be interested in the second Sailcomp display if it is available separately.
    John Churchill

Dari
    Participant

John, I will keep you in mind if I someone wants the rest…

D

Allen
    Participant

What is the status of the boat? Are you parting it out? If so, what parts are still available? Can you post a list of available parts or email me one @ sail_flea@yahoo.com. Thanks. ‘Moonshine’

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

I’m ready for the winches….make me an offer!

Allen
    Participant

Any chance the spreaders are available. We bent/broke one a couple of weeks ago and are having a hard time finding spreaders. What other parts do you have left? Do you still have the electronics? Having problems with ours, thinking of replacing the lot. Allen

Ray
    Participant

Dari- by any chance, is the boom kicker still available? From the photos, it looks like I’d need to do a bit of modification to my mast (Ballenger), but I’m not 100% sure. Do you know?

Ray

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

If it is a brand Boom Kicker..no mods necessary.

Ray
    Participant

I have a tang welded to the mast where the exisint vang attaches that looks like where the Garhauer model would be attached. If I don’t have to hack that off, all the better! I’ve already had to do things to this boat using implements of destruction I never thought I’d ever have to (ie. circular saw)…

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Don’t know about the Garhauer. My Boomkicker has a mount above the vang attachment.

Dari
    Participant

So I have a friend who wants to buy the whole boat…he is in the Marine Biz and wants to rehab it…so the parts are staying on the boat…

I think the tang does have to be hacked off…both my ballenger masts had the garhaure boovangs, and there seems to be a cut off tang under the mounting plate…

D

Ray
    Participant

Well, darn- thanks, Dari. I’m off to Garhauer marine… again!

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Get a Boomkicker…save money. Your current vang will work with it.

Ray
    Participant

Just ordered it– probably the fastest thing I’ve bought this year! That guy was really helpful, too.. Thanks for the rec, Bruce!

Viewing 24 posts - 31 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.