Play in rudder post

Home Forums Hardware & Setup Technical Play in rudder post

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ray 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Participant

I did some searching of our forum and read a bit about this topic, but something still has me scratching my head and that is just how much play in the bottom of the rudder post is acceptable. Mine (which I just discovered yesterday after a 120 mile offshore trip) wiggles about 1.5-2 mm. Is that healthy? One thing that has bothered me a bit since owning this boat is the squeek in the upper part of the post, but I’ve learned to live with it- I don’t believe there is an effective lubricant for fiberglass, but it’s no big deal. Doing all of the offshore stuff that I like to do, the play in this post is the most concerning. Can someone shed any light on this matter?

Ray

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Zero Play. Buy new upper and lower bearings. If still squeaking…graphite powder, no oil.

Ray
    Participant

Thanks, Bruce- where do I buy new bearings and graphite powder?

Ray
    Participant

Oh- also- is it safe to sail with that amount of wiggle? It’s not bad, but I was zipping along at 7 kts this weekend and there is an interesting humm coming from down there… I’m guessing it’s rudder vibration. I can’t imagine that it’s enough to wiggle anything apart, but I’m racing this weekend from here to Savannah, GA and back (about 150 nm total).

Ray
    Participant

Just found out that Buzz has a bunch of new bearings in stock… I can google where to buy graphite powder. I asked him about sailing with the rudder post knocking around a bit, and he said there may a groove in the post that I might need to build back up with thickened epoxy, so that’s what I’ll do.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

hardware store has graphite. Look in the lock section. Just don’t get the oil version..you want powder only. It will only work on new bearings, yours are too loose.

Hum on my boat is usually the tight dyneema backstay. Sounds like it is coming from below, but most likely the backstay. Grab it next time you hear a hum.

The rudder won’t break, but the shaft might eventually rub the tube????? More a nuisance than necessity, but you are putting off the inevitable.

Ray
    Participant

I’ve ordered the new bearings and will get them installed maybe in a week or so. I didn’t think about the backstay– it was on maybe half-way– snug, but not for honkin’ conditions.. I’ll ck this weekend.

Ray
    Participant

Hey, one question I forgot to ask- Buzz thinks there will probably be some grooves in the rudder post from normal wear and they’ll need to be repaired. I forgot to ask, but I’m guessing I can simply sand with 60 grit and apply some West Systems epoxy thickened with one of the structural fillers (not the softer fairing filler, but the high-density 404 stuff). I’m assuming I wouldn’t need to take an angle grinder to that thing, would I?

Ray
    Participant

Does anyone know how to deal with rudder post grooves? Am I on the right track above?

Bill Vosteen
    Participant

Ray,

Using West Epoxy and the high density filler is used to fill the worn rudder shaft. Use a hand or palm sander and take your time, only use enough epoxy to fill the grooves. Do not use a grinder, you won’t have enough control and could do more harm.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Where are these ‘grooves’? If at the bearing, then yes it needs to baby butt smooth and a relatively tight fit. If they are on the shaft between the bearing surfaces…nothing needs to be done!!!

Have you removed the rudder yet? You will know if you need to work on the bearing surfaces when you test fit the new bearings. If you have to tap them on to get them in place, you are done. No work needed. If they new ones go on easily, you have wear and need to slightly increase the diameter. A coat of epoxy after light sanding and you are good. Check the shaft for gaps between the new bearing and shaft. You may only need to add epoxy to make the shaft round again.

Ray
    Participant

Hey, Bruce- I have not yet removed the rudder and post. I haven’t received the new bearings yet, so I’m going to wait a while and may be doing that after we move to Tampa (we’re in Charleston for another 5 weeks or so). I’ll look back at these notes when starting, so thanks you guys for the info. It’s a little crazy now with this upcoming move, so boatwork is a bit behind schedule until we get settled in down there.

Ray

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.