Property Taxes

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Property Taxes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bruce Hubble Bruce Hubble 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jason Adamson
    Participant

I am looking for information regarding any recent sales of Olson 30’s to help me with an appeal for my 2012 property taxes. According to the state of CA my boat has doubled in value, amazing I know!. If anyone here has purchased or sold in the last 3 months could you please email me. I would much appreciate it.

Jason Adamson
    jason@primecontrolsco.com

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

register it in a different state. I don’t even know what ‘property taxes’ are on a boat.

We pay sales tax at time of purchase (6%) and 3 year registration cost of about $105. That’s it. Michigan.

No wonder so many CA people are leaving.

But back to the answer…a boat (without sails?, motor?, trailer?) is worth $10k, in my opinion, if it is in good condition, not excellent. Sails, motor & trailer in average condition adds $6k.

Jason Adamson
    Participant

Ya the great state of CA. Well last year the boat was valued at 10k which I believe is reasonable. This year is jumped to 18k. Now I wish our home prices would make that kind of gain in 1 year.

Ray
    Participant

Jason- I bought mine for $15.5k a few months ago and promptly documented it via uscg in Tucson, Az (my not-so-easily forgotten home of just a few years ago). California can assess a use tax, which thankfully, they don’t have here. Good luck, man! California seems desperate to tap into all sorts of taxes these days to make up for a deficit. I think I’ve heard of some boat owners having to resort to small claims court to get it settled.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Register it in Nevada.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

John Kerry keeps his boat in R.I. to avoid Mass. taxes. Then you can!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.