Rudder Bearings

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Rudder Bearings

This topic contains 33 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Ray 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Participant

Sorry to keep floggin’ this horse, Bruce… All is now installed. In the end, I needed to grind away most of the 1/4″ of extra bearing (lower bearing) since I could not properly seat the rudder post up into position to allow the retaining bolt to slide through the rudder head holding it all together. It is a fairly snug fit, but I’m thinking it may eventually wear itself down and loosen up as it ages. The first sail will tell the whole story, but I do have one question… I forgot about the two plastic rings that were up top (between the rudder head and the deck), but I think squeezing those in now, might be kinda tough. Are they absolutely necessary?

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

I would think so! They are the ‘bearing’ for the rudder head. Make sure you pounded that lower bearing in all the way.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Before grinding the bottom bearing off, make sure your rudder clears the bottom. You may need to take some of the top bearing off!

Ray
    Participant

You may not remember, but it’s possible I might not have mentioned it- I am NOT replacing the top bearing as it is in near perfect condition (no wiggle at all and looks almost pristine). So- I have ground the bottom bearing down enough to fit the rudder post with the bolt just enough to clear the hole in the rudder head. I may still be able to squeeze those spacers in, but then the helm will likely be “squeeky tight”… I’m guessing, but I bet I’m correct. If they are that important, then I will just sand a bit more off of the lower bearing- I’m pretty sure I have at least another 1/16” there that I think I can afford to lose without the rudder scraping the hull (easily that much). Capiche?

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.