Sails

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Bruce Hubble Bruce Hubble 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Dale Swift
    Participant

I thought I would open the discussion board with a Sails topic. Tell us about your choice of MFG of sails and why.
    MFG
    Good / Bad / Longevity / Experience

Thanks
    Dale

Old School
    Participant

There is a pretty good discussion about sails burried on the second page:

http://www.olson30.org/groups/friends/forum/topic/sail-lofts/

Todd Downey
    Participant

Larry Spencer of Blue Star was quoted to say “I never thought my sails could be faster. Then I tried a set of Quantum.”

Jiri Senkyrik
    Participant

Does anyone have any experience running a staysail on the Olson? My boat came with one but I have never used one. I am getting ready to do some longer races, is it worth the hassle?

Bruce Rand
    Participant

we use a staysail regularly on point to point races and yes it’s worth the effort. We have a north ultralight staysail on a micro furler and use it on point to point reaches with much success. best guess is it adds .2 to .3 of a knot to our VMG and over a 2-3 mile reaching leg it makes a difference. It accelerates the air flow across the back side of the main giving it more pull.

Al Holt
    Participant

Our experience is the same as that of Bruce Rand. We carry a staysail to use on reaches if the distance offsets the hassle of putting it up. It is a light sail that doubles as a high-clewed windseeker when tacked forward. On windy days, we leave the blade up on the reaches instead of using the staysail. It saves hassle at the windward and leeward marks, prevents tight wraps on the jibes, and gives us the option of additional drive on the reaches when we need it.

Jiri Senkyrik
    Participant

Thanks for the reply guys. Can you please let me know how you guys set the thing (were you attached it, etc…). I have never set one and read that people set it from midpoint, or from the toe rails depending on conditions.

Al Holt
    Participant

Jiri, I’ll be interested in others’ experience, as well. We have tried it both at the normal tack hook on the bow and at the foreguy fitting on the deck. I can’t see much difference. I think the tack hook might be better as long as there is enough wind to keep the kite working. It gives more projected area. The staysail/windseeker we’re using now is large enough to rob wind out of the kite and in very light conditions it does more damage than good regardless where we tack it down. We have used the toe rail when farther off the wind.
    To reiterate, we have seen the staysail make a difference against boats that did not have one. When the wind conditions are right, it’s definitely an advantage to use it.

Jiri Senkyrik
    Participant

Thanks Al, I am going to go out tomorrow and try it.

Bruce Rand
    Participant

we have an anchor midway between tack horn and we also use the foreguy ring. another point we have used is the weather rail. they all work. It’s a delicate balance. Your goal is to accelerate air flow on the back side of the main. Telltales are useless and sheet leads are extreme to close the top. If it’s interfering with the kite we furl it up but leave it up and ready to go. It lives just forward of our hatch mounted spin bag and is always at the ready with a sheet always attached. go out and play when you get it dialed in you will know. 3/10 of a knot is sometimes seen and it makes a huge difference on those long point to point reaches.

Old School
    Participant

Kind of like a blooper…gain a third of a knot when you put it up and gain another third when you take it down?

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

LOL…I had the same experience with both…blooper and staysail. I think the difference is everyone is making trim of all sails a priority while one of them is up.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.