Single Spreader Question

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Single Spreader Question

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jim Saylor 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Lilya Vorobey
    Participant

Hello!
    I was reading the information about raising the capshrouds and using longer spreaders… currently, the capshrouds are 28″ below the top of the masthead. How high do you recommend putting them to use with 37.5″ spreaders? I am currently restoring hull 243 and would like to make this change. Any dimensional reccomendations? Thanks for your time and trouble.

Old School
    Participant

Buzz would be the man to talk about that with.
    http://www.ballengerspars.com/

Chris
    Participant

I have a Sparcraft mast and made such modifications. I went out 3″ per spreader. Don’t consider raising the capshrouds unless you increase the spreader length. I went as high as possible to offset backstay tension induced lateral bending. I ordered appropriate length rod. The result was great. Six years later no problems. Yhe boat has been through five MAC’s with high winds and large seas beating for 20 hours at a time. These parameters were not mine but a recommendation from Chuck Queen long time Olson 30 owner and previous Ullman sails rep.

Lilya Vorobey
    Participant

Thank you both for the input! I am planning on doing the transpac this June and am attempting to do anything I can to make the rig sound. A trip to chat with Buzz is in the works. Coming from a blueprint background I was hoping for measurements for those who have put in capshrouds near the top the mast. It would be interesting to start a design folder of which boats have what. If this is something that can happen, I would be glad to help out. I have drawn (SolidWorks) the interior of my boat in order to best layout electronic equipment, weight distribution, etc. for the race. Last, does anyone have the actual boat blueprints/measurements?
    Thanks again!
    LV

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Lilya…is TransPac using ORR for the race? If so, have you cleared the Stability Index for your boat yet with the race organizer? Olson outboards are around a 104 rating. Some of these offshore events are requiring 110. I heard directly from USSA/ORR that TransPac wasn’t allowing Olson’s again…just a heads up.

I’m adding 3″ of ballast to the bottom of my keel (95lbs) to get past 103 for the Chicago Mackinac Race.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Just checked the TransPac/Tahiti requirement: 115 minimum!

If you have not been measured…you need to asap before you do all the mods.

Lilya Vorobey
    Participant

Woops, should have mentioned it is the Single-Handed Transpac that leaves SF June 30th. ISAF rules. Hmmm. Time to sit infront of the fireplace & do some serious reading.

Jim Saylor
    Participant

Lilya,

Looking forward to your trip to Kauai. We have three Olson 30s here, all w/ double spreader rigs. Great boat for the single handed TP.
    How can I contact you?
    Jim Saylor, Commodore NYC, Olson 30-Fast Company

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.