Spin sheets

Home Forums Hardware & Setup Technical Spin sheets

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Old School 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Participant

I’m thinking of new spin sheets, but not wanting to go crazy expensive. Can anyone explain why, if both Endura Braid and Flight Line each have the same identical core (sk75) why is Endura Braid so much stronger (>50%) than Flight Line? If the core is the same, then there really is something to the cover that imparts something to the breaking strength of those lines. That flies in the face of most of the break-testing with which I’m familiar..

Ray
    Participant

Sorry- I think I may have stumbled on the answer.. didn’t realize the Flight line is actually a “blended” core (dyneema and probably polyester). The 10mm stuff is still plenty strong enough, which is what I want.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

I use endurabraid and strip off the cover on about 20 feet or so. So light you don’t need light air sheets.

Ray
    Participant

I know, Bruce- I’ve probably read your post at least 6 times today from a question someone was asking a while ago.. I’m trying to stay way under $2/ft if I can get away with it. So far, I’ve found Samson’s MLX at $1.80 and it approaches the strength of Endura Braid. Still, at 7200 lbs breaking strength, the sail will rip long before the line does..

Old School
    Participant

flightline has significantly smaller core, and thicker cover than endura. Old School had stripped flightline as its working spin sheets, and stripped endura as its heavy air sheets. There is a very noticeable difference in light wind conditions, as the stripped flight is significantly lighter than endura. Funny thing we noticed…in 18-20 knots, the flightline seemed to stretch less than the endura! Did not seem right, but it was so. When we saw this, we stopped using the endura unless it was blowing 25-30. We never had an issue.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.