Spinnaker sheets, light vs heavy wind

Home Forums Hardware & Setup Technical Spinnaker sheets, light vs heavy wind

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Bruce Hubble Bruce Hubble 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Jean Andre
    Participant

Hi guys,
    What do you use for light wind spinnaker sheets? How about heavy winds?
    Also, do you have single sheets with twings or do you have a lazy sheet and a lazy guy?

Cheers

Jean

• This topic was modified 2 years, 1 month ago by SWG SWG.
    Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Endurabraid 8mm. Strip the cover off of 16 feet of it. Uncovered, it is very light and doesn’t absorb water. It serves both light and heavy conditions very well.

I use twings. No need for dip pole jibes.

Jean Andre
    Participant

Thanks for the info Bruce,
    How long in total are your sheets? What shackes do you use? Any cons about just tying a bowline at the clews?
    Cheers
    By the way, Spar Wars is looking amazing!

Jim Saylor
    Participant

We use flight line, very light does not absorb water & I made my own custom soft shackles, light easy and have never come free under any conditions. Maybe I’ll photo and post one day.

Jean Andre
    Participant

I like soft shackles very much, I even can splice them to the end of a line so they are integrated and then my diamond knot stay on the sail clew. It is a very neat arrangement.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Bowlines work. Currently using shackles because of Mackinac race. Long distance races it is easier to do a drop and launch instead of a peel with shackles.

Jonathan Pollak
    Participant

We use New England Ropes “Flight Line” for light air sheets. Light, does not absorb water and don’t need to strip. No shackles. Just tie in with Bowline. Cheaper and lighter that way.

I use Sampson “MLX” with Tylaska shackles for heavy air.

Flight Line is good up to low to mid teens. Change over after that.

-Jon

Dari
    Participant

@Jean… Can you take a picture of the integrated soft shackle? Or do you have a place that you learned how to make it?

Dari

Jean Andre
    Participant

Hi Dari,

For Jib, Genoa sheets, I prefer this arrangement with a soft shackle and loop splices, since the knot gets inside the sail clew and does not hang on shrouds or lifelines http://l-36.com/soft_shackle_intro.php

For halyards and the spinnaker sheets I like this integrated splice ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRKOkYqWpug ) , but with the “Better soft shackle” ( http://l-36.com/soft_shackle_9.php ). I think this shackle is easier to use then the one with the opening line.

let me know what you think.

Cheers

Dari
    Participant

I love it! Thanks. I know exactly what you mean about the Better Soft Shackle. I’ll be splicing this weekend!!!

Dari

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

60 foot sheet/guys. Mauri Pro says 66 ft.

Jim Saylor
    Participant

I buy 75′, this allows for stripping the ends and leaves room to end for end them after a couple seasons.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

once again about spinnaker sheets. what kind of sheets do people prefer, for what conditions and what about attachment options. quite a few sets of sheets came with our boat, plus we acquired some others, plus some from our previous boat.

super light sheets with clips, maybe these should be replaced with the light dyneema sheets we have.

conventional sheet with shackle guard.

tapered dyneema sheet with snap shackle.

Ray
    Participant

quick question about tapered spin sheets.. Don’t they need some sort of shackle guard to keep them from slipping through the jaws of the pole? I’m just going to put eye splices in the ends of mine and use soft shackles to keep weight down, but there’s not enough bulk there to keep all of it from pulling through the pole jaws. The clew ring might catch, though.. any ideas?

I guess the real question should be- does adding anything to the ends of the sheets matter if you’re using soft shackles that just collapse when the guy runs through the pole jaws to the clew ring?

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

I use regular shackles for long distance races in case of the need for a peel.

for buoy racing..nothing lighter than a bowline.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.