Stepping Mast

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Stepping Mast

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bruce Hubble Bruce Hubble 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Curt Rodgers
    Participant

Does anyone have a video or pictures of the mast being stepped without the use of a hoist? It is difficult and how many people are needed?

Bill Vosteen
    Participant

There are many YouTube videos showing a gin pole in use. I searched with “sailboat, mast, gin pole” and got 1300 hits. Most boats will be smaller and deck stepped. You need to keep in mind that your gin pole needs to be tall enough to lift the balance point, or just above the balance point above the deck opening for the mast. I remember some discussions on the old Olson 30 site where they used a boken J24 mast. Following is my Youtube search.

Good luck,

Bill

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sailboat+mast+gin+pole&oq=sailboat+mast+gin+pole&gs_l=youtube.3…3156.10406.0.11906.22.18.0.4.4.0.281.1732.2j7j2.11.0…0.0…1ac.1.11.youtube.b11jCCwh1Tw

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

You need a gin pole that is at least 6-7 feet taller than your lower spreaders off the deck. The gin pole needs a forestay, twin backstay and two shrouds. Then you need a 2:1 purchase at the top of the gin to lift the mast. Remember you have to lift the lower part of your mast through the deck.

I used to do this with my J/24 with an aluminum tube. You would need a stiff one to support the weight of the mast and your pulls. It seems scary the first couple times you do it. Get less scary. Don’t hoist in a blow!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.