Stern Pulpit Question

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Stern Pulpit Question

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Bruce Hubble Bruce Hubble 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Has there ever been any discussion of amending the class rules to permit turning the aft rail of the stern pulpit into a rope (or wire) gate? Have the ability to temporarily remove the rail would seem to make getting the outboard on and off easier. Jonathan

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Great Idea..The Olson is not like other boats that you stand all the way to the stern. I don’t know if the class rules require wire lifelines any more, but that should be changed to synthetic at the same time as ORC/ORR/IRC now allow them. How do you propose to alter your pushpit? The current one doesn’t look like it would stand without major modification/braces.

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Haven’t focused on what the mod would look like since right now it’s a moot point. But if there’s interest and the possibility of a rule accommodation, I’d look into.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Personally…change the rule to Must Have A Pushpit that encloses the stern section as per original equipment…may have lifeline gates that are secure.

Old School
    Participant

Synthetic lifelines are specifically allowed in our rules.

Changing over to a pushpit with a gate is not something that I would personally be interested in. We would have to figure out a way to keep the weight equal between versions. I believe this modification was discussed at the 2008 agm, and it failed. If you really want to see it discussed again, draft up an amendment proposal so we can get it distributed before the agm. The discussion could happen here, then have your proxies ready.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

I understand the concerns with one design and weight and the slippery slope. But to ignor a design comfort/safety flaw for weight? Nah..that is silly.

Allow an original design with openings between with rope gates. The two bars weight? 3 lbs? The replacing rope? 1/2 lb? What if I made a carbon original type?

Just do it for the outboard! (I’m arguing for an outboard..WTF!)(the only inboard of the group)

The only wording that needs to be fixed is “original”. Define it for the pushpit as similar to original size, weight and position. (the keel allows tolerances!) Gates are allowed.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

LOL: as a PS:

I will pay dues (if you pass this) the day outboard boats are required to add 250 lbs of lead to their bilge when competing with an inboard in the fleet.

Please put this up to a vote. ; )

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.