Topping lift sheave box

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Topping lift sheave box

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Jonathan Pollak 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Ray
    Participant

Does anyone happen to know which sheave box will conveniently fit into the opening for the topping lift on a Ballenger mast? I called him today, and he suggested the Harken 106, but it doesn’t quite look the same. I’m in need of replacing mine (which blew out a while ago.. kind of explains why it’s been so tough on my wife lifting the pole!).

Ray

Derek Lay
    Participant

Ray,
    I’m unfortunately not much help on the sheave box, but have a similar issue. I pulled one of the halyard sheaves at the end of last season so that I could replace them, and haven’t found a match. Did Ballenger mention who provided the originals? The one I took out has a 2″ diameter, is 9/16″ wide, and has a 3/8″ pin.

Ray
    Participant

Hi, Derek- I’m pretty sure it was all Ronstan. The stainless plate is visibly embossed with the word “Australia” along one edge, and Buzz said they were originally Ronstan. I’m assuming maybe the masthead sheaves were the same? I found one Harken H106 bullet block at our local West Marine, so I’m going to go look at it tomorrow before work (I measured all dimensions of the existing one today, and if the rivet holes line up, I’ll install it. Otherwise, I might have to order the Ronstan rf31712 from APS and place rivets from the sides (6 in total).

Zeke Wolfskehl
    Participant

I have both the old and the new topping lift block in my hand. It is the Harken 106. But I use the center halyard for the topper, the stbd wing for the jib and the port wing for the spin.

Ray
    Participant

Thank you, Zeke!

Jonathan Pollak
    Participant

I just replaced all four of my masthead sheaves. They were all blown and I was unable to find a readily available commercial sheave of the same size. They were Holt sheaves from England and it would have taken a month. Instead I had custom sheaves made by Zephyrwerks (http://www.zephyrwerks.com). I went in and talked to the guys at APS and they turned me onto them. They only took one week and were under $30 each and were cut to the exact size I wanted. Not certain what size the toping lift sheave is but they could probably make one. Will take a look this weekend before putting the mast back up. In any event I am very happy with the product that they provided.

-Jon

Derek Lay
    Participant

Jon,

What size were the masthead sheaves that you ordered? If they match mine (and assuming that they fit well on your boat) I’ll probably ask them to duplicate the order instead of sending all new information. Thanks!

Derek

Piotr
    Participant

I got mine from Ballenger, 2″ diameter. They were +/- $25 a piece.

Jonathan Pollak
    Participant

They were 2″ sheaves. I forget the exact width. I will try to find the invoice and will let you know tonight. They fit well. You probably do want to get an exact measurement of the pin size in your masthead.

-Jon

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.