Website Updates

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  fitzee 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

We have been working hard to make olson30.org better.

Stage 1 of this project, almost complete, is to harvest content from the various website versions that the Class Association has employed over the past 15+ years. That is mostly complete. Hull database is getting more and more complete and a great deal of content has been scavenged and consolidated.

Stage 2 is well underway and involves cleaning up the existing website, removing dead page and image links and improving menus and page levelling. Part of this work is implementing page content – technical info, historical content, race results etc – into existing pages and creating new pages. An example of this is the revamped Boat Setup section:

Boat Setup

We also have almost complete removed all pdf files from our technical and results pages. Pdf files are great for something you need to print at home but they’re not good for web content, so we’re converting the pdf’s to web pages, one by one. For example the Ullman Tuning Guide is now a web page instead of a pdf:

Ullman Tuning Guide

Stage 3 is the creating and launching of a new website. Design and planning has begun. The new site will build and elaborate on the existing site. Important changes will include a password-protected area for Class members, re-introdcution of the Hull Database, improved navigation and graphics and an overall revamp to the look and feel, including a responsive design for mobile devices. The new site will be more graphic and image-rich. The new site will be integrated with facebook which will increase traffic and information flow.

Another proposed feature of the new site will be incorporation of the sailpix Olson 30 mailing list messages. We now have a complete database of the sailpix messages from 1995-2011 and are working on a means to make these messages part of our own online content. There is a lot of gold in the sailpix messages but it’s difficult to navigate. This will be a valuable asset to our site if we can make it happen.

Stay Tuned, and please navigate around the site to see what’s changed. Most of the changes are subtle and involve simply adding to or repairing content that was already here.

fitzee
    Participant

Awesome work. Thank You!

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Thanks for the feedback Gary, much appreciated.

NOTE: Submissions are needed.

we need photos more than anything else. high quality, at least 1200 x 900 resolution. ANY kind of photos that have Olson 30 content. rigging, racing, painting, fixing stuff, interiors, modifications, tricks, ANYTHING.

We are going to significantly expand the technical and ‘how-to’ sections of the site and images are needed for this. There is a lot of content in the forums – both this site and sailpix – that can be used as the basis for excellent technical articles but supporting images are needed, plain text just doesn’t cut it for a website any more.

SWG

Chris Voigt
    Participant

Nice work. I hate when a search takes me to sailpix… not the easiest thing to read.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

We now have the entire sailpix message database on our server, just have to figure out a way to make it searchable.

O30Sleeper
    Participant

Fantastic job reviving the site! It looks great! Regarding the SHTP section on the site…I’ve put together as best I could an Olson 30 SHTP race history breakdown with finish times you may find useful for the site. Did I miss any? Listed from earliest to most recent:

(Year) (Boat Name) (Skipper) (Finish Time) (Hull Number)
    1980 Hanalei Flyer Don Keenan 15days 16hours 17minutes
    1982 Collage Chuck Hawley 16days 15hours 45minutes
    1982 Gold Rush Peter Brown 19days 9hours 44minutes
    1984 Francis Who Frank Dinsmore 16days 00hours 26minutes
    1986 Francis Who Dan Newland 13days 6hours 42minutes
    1988 Intense Bill Stange 11days 15hours 21minutes 145
    1988 Cheers Carl Nelson 12days 22hours 40minutes 048
    1988 Quest Charles Von Schlauch 15days 10hours 29minutes
    1992 White Knuckles Dan Benjamin 16days 6hours 02minutes 227
    1992 Warlock Robert Moore 18days 00hours 33minutes
    2000 Solman Steve Steinberg 15days 00hours 31minutes
    2000 Still Crazy Ron Corbin 18days 12hours 01minutes
    2004 Prankster Frank Ross 14days 15hours 02minutes 079
    2006 Foolish Muse Andy Evans 15days 20hours 24minutes 033
    2008 Polar Bear Eric Thomas 14days 01hours 53minutes 140
    2010 Idefix Adrian Johnson 14days 09hours 34minutes 039
    2012 Idefix Adrian Johnson 13days 12hours 55minutes 039

I look forward to exploring more of the site! Thanks again!

~”Sleeper”
    Hull #70
    /)/)/)/)/)

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Sleeper – Thanks for the positive comments. We have to agree, we think the site has come along pretty well in the last 12 months. There is always more to do of course. Bit by bit we’re pulling together the three different iterations of olson30.org and making them whole, and adding as much new content as we can.

On the above, this is great and appreciated. Neat that you noticed the new section that is yet to be added. It’s a rich vein of material and your list is great. What would be even better is if there were finishing results for all of the above. I believe the O30 has won overall a few times and class many times. We will use your list for sure. We need to build a page for SHTP, it’s coming soon.

There are 4 boats registered for this year and two of them we don’t have any info on the hull database. “WIDMAT” and “PASSAGES”. Passages we know the previous owner but she was for sale and maybe the new owner is racing her, or maybe it’s a charter. Not sure.

fitzee
    Participant

I stumbled across an article re the balsa core used in the Olson 30. PDF attached. Pretty interesting.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.