What to do with my Olson 30?

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions What to do with my Olson 30?

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Jonathan Nye 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

Stephen Obrlecher
    Participant

Unfortunately I have to make this post. I have Olson 30 #201, Golden Brown, which was dismasted last summer. I have been struggling with what to do with the boat since then. After deliberation I have decided I need something with an inboard and head for the type of offshore sailing I do.

So the question is what do I do with Golden Brown? The easy way out would be to strip all the hardware, cut her up, and scrap the lead. But I can’t bear the thought. Olson’s are such great boats and deserve more than that. Obviously storage costs are a major factor at this point.

Is there someone on this list who would want an Olson hull? I would gladly give the hull to someone interested in getting her back on the water.

Aside from missing the mast she is a great boat. I even doublehanded her to bermuda and back last summer and have sailed her everywhere from Norfolk to Nantucket in the last couple of years.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I should do please post. If you or someone you know might be interested in the hull please get in touch. I am happy to answer any questions. The boat is on the hard in Brooklyn, NY.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

WOW! Don’t chop it up! Have you priced a mast? Damage to the boat?
    List it here in the classifieds..but make them pay something..like the storage. It’s like free puppies..no takers!
    An increasing storage bill…equals buy it now!

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Don’t forget lots of pictures. Scan a bunch into a single page of pictures. I think you can only post 4 single pics here. Trailer?

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

One of my crew guys is interested. He restores boats. Write to Garrett @

falls1gr@gmail.com

Dari
    Participant

I could really use about a 3-4 foot section of the mast…6 would be freaking awesome…

d

Jason Adamson
    Participant

Dont scrap her. Come up with a price and try to sell her as is. I believe a new rig runs somewhere around 8k. I am sure someone on this site knows someone who’d be interested in her. Post to the classifieds.

Jonathan Pollak
    Participant

I have a crew member who I bet would be interested. I would also be interested in the remnants of the mast if there is enough left to make a gin pole for stepping/unstepping.

Old School
    Participant

Wilby at Pride Marine has a mast tube, but I don’t think spreaders or rigging.

Golden Brown’s mast broke at the spreaders, so could work for a deck-mounted gin pole.

Stephen Obrlecher
    Participant

Sorry for the silence. I had several interested parties contact me but in the end for one reason or another no one was able to take the boat off my hands. Recently I found someone who came with a trailer and removed the boat with the intent of scrapping it. It turns out that after seeing the Olson 30 he has an interest in trying to get her back on the water. If anyone still has interest I can get you in touch with him. Worst case scenario if he does end up scrapping it, I’m sure he would be interested in parting it out.

In summary not my ideal solution but I could no longer bear the storage fees.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Where is the boat and what kind of condition (other than the mast)?

I’ve got an open trailer at the moment and a line on a carbon mast.

Curt Rodgers
    Participant

What about the sails? I really need a #2 and #3.

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

If there’s a rudder that’s available and it has a stainless rudder stock, I’m interested. Jonathan

Jason Saunderson
    Participant

I have a spare spade rudder that I might be willing to part with. I am based in Vancouver, BC. PM me.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Jon, why do you want the stainless rudder? If you bent it once..the next one will bend.

Go for the fiberglass one…much stronger.

Bruce Hubble
    Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Jason…

I might consider your stock rudder. Have a number in mind?

I’m guessing Fed Ex can ship.

Chris
    Participant

Just a reminder I have a stock rudder with a frp post in very very good condition for 500.00. My boat came with the elliptical and stock when I bought it ten years ago. It was coated with several layers of interlux barrier coat. I never used it. Ready for bottom paint.

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Has a fiberglass post ever failed? Yes my stainless post bent but I now suspect it was pre-bent. Still raises the question, if true, why/how was the post bent originally?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.