Which first? Twist or travel down?

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Which first? Twist or travel down?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  fitzee 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

fitzee
    Participant

I’m curious how other O30 sailors de-power the main. Lets say flat water with main trimmed to the center line with the top batten parallel to the boom. Wind starts to build to the point that the main needs to be de-powered. Aside from cunningham, outhaul, backstay etc. what do you do first? Do you twist off the top of the sail with sheet and then travel down as the wind builds? Or do you leave twist as-is and start to travel down and then twist off the top? Would like to hear some ideas and the logic (assuming there is some)…thanks.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

After the cunningham, outhaul and backstay are hardened up to get the sail as flat, ease the mainsheet. If you can’t keep the boat on it’s feet playing the mainsheet then traveler down. Traveler down will be slow but might be needed depending on how much breeze.

Or do you leave twist as-is and start to travel down and then twist off the top?

This part I don’t quite understand.

fitzee
    Participant

By this I mean do you keep the leach tight (sheeted hard) as you would when going for maximum point and drop down the traveler to de-power? I.E. until you reach the traveler limit at which point you would need to twist off the top.
    Or would you first twist off the top and then travel down? This is assuming the main is already bladed out.

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

Tip #4 in this page is useful (as are the others). Diagrams are well done too.

5 tips: mainsail trimming. Getting the best from your main can turn it into a tactical weapon

Suggests keeping the traveler as high as possible.

fitzee
    Participant

Thanks for that. It seems to me that with overlapping head sails keeping the slot open by travelling up as much as possible makes sense.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.