Winterize

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by SWG SWG 1 year ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Olson30
    Participant

What do class owners do to winterize an Olson 30?. I plan on leaving it on the water here at the Great Salt Lake. My primary concern is fresh water ( through rain and snow ) going thru freeze and thaw cycles. My hatch and Lazerette are tight. I have a new solar vent that is also water tight. I was told to pull the stanctions – life lines – since they are a fiberglass receiver and can collect water. Any suggestions on what to cover the sanction receiver slot with? The cockpit has scuppers and should allow rain water to flow out of the cockpit. since the scupper tubes go through the cabin which should stay warmer. I’ll cover the winches and the tiller. Leave the boom on or off? What else do class members do to winterize their boat? Thanks in advance for your reply.

Olson30

SWG
    SWG
    Keymaster

In the Great Lakes we haul our boats. Freeze/Thaw cycles are a significant issue here with the stanchion pockets filling, have seen boats with the outer skin of the hull damaged due to delamination, likely caused water in the pockets freezing. Our boat has the pockets drilled with drainage holes for this reason.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.