Chicago-area Olson 30 help?

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Chicago-area Olson 30 help?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  DWWarCanoe 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

DWWarCanoe
    Participant

I recently acquired War Canoe (Seattle boat – my brother raced it there for many years) and now have it in Lake Michigan. I would love to connect with a current or former Olson 30 owner who knows the boat and can help me sort some things out. If that’s you, or if you know anyone, please let me know. Phone (630) 803-6625.

Thanks!

Dan Wallace

SWG
    Keymaster

Dan,

I will see what we can find as far as owners in your area.

DWWarCanoe
    Participant

Another question – has anyone ever found a way to stop the bilge pump from generating backflow into the cockpit. It seems like the port-side drain pipe should have a flapper or check valve to keep the water flowing out, not in. At least half of what I pump out comes right in the cockpit. Any thoughts on this?

SWG
    Keymaster

Boats on Lake Ontario that sail in offshore events are prohibited from having the bilge water pumped into the cockpit drains, so the outlet from the pump is typically re-routed to a new drain hole just beside the existing one. I can post a photo later if you like but basically you end up with two drains on one side of the transom.

DWWarCanoe
    Participant

Belated reply. . .my boat-fixing guy found a check valve w/a pretty soft spring. I think it was originally intended for fuel lines? We caulked it into the port drain right at the cockpit. Works like a charm. The spring is soft enough to let any water than accumulates while sailing to drain out normally. When operating the bilge pump, a tiny amount of water leaks back into the cockpit – totally at the “who cares?” level. Bilge empties quickly and easily, cockpit stays almost completely dry. I don’t recall the name/mfg of the valve, but I’m sure I can find out if anyone wants to know.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.