FOSS/alternate rudder experiences?

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions FOSS/alternate rudder experiences?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  O30Sleeper 6 years ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Chris
    Participant

Hey gang – Does anyone have any feedback on that FOSS rudder listed on the boat setup page, or with possible alternatives? I’m not so concerned with being class legal, so ideas for other modern rudders to swap in are welcome too.

Thanks!
    -Chris

o30mike
    Participant

Here is my former Olson (o29 #27) with a water rat (Larry Tuttle) CF custom blade – he did this in the 90’s – well ahead of his time here…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Chris
    Participant

Oh nice – Looks like he’s local. Happy with it?

SWG
    Keymaster

Mike,

Here is some info, it’s on facebook unfortunately.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/olson30/search/?query=foss

Also follow along with Jason’s posts in the link above, he recently installed the Foss rudder and he has sailed a lot of offshore miles with it. The same rudder was installed by Jiri on a boat that won class in the SHTP. The boat is now in Hawaii. Everyone who has installed the Foss rudder has positive reports. It’s probably slow in very light wind due to the large wetted surface. But offshore and in big breeze it gets great reviews, and if you were offshore with an autopilot it’s much better than the stock rudder. For course racing or inshore racing it might not pay off as much.

Chris
    Participant

Not a huge facebook fan, but that is a ton of great info right there. Thanks! The price on the Foss rudder is hard to beat, too.

SWG
    Keymaster

I don’t disagree on Facebook. Unfortunately the ‘Olson 30 Fans’ Facebook page has almost replaced the forums here completely, which is a big loss in my opinion. There is a lot of great info in these forums and sero white noise to deal with, just discussion of the Olson 30.

Chris
    Participant

well thanks for continuing to maintain them, and the quick responses

I am curious – the tuttle rudder and foss rudders are quite different.. i’d be interested to know if the tuttle rudder solves some of the low-wind drag issues without sacrificing the additional control

SWG
    Keymaster

What is a “Tuttle Rudder”?

Chris
    Participant

second post ^

SWG
    Keymaster

OK I see. It’s hard to see the rudder in that picture because it’s turned away from the photo. But I do see that now. We don’t have contact info for this person on our suppliers page, I think we should.

O30Sleeper
    Participant

I would also be curious in some feedback on the Larry Tuttle rudder…I believe this is the same rudder pictured above…just gives you a better idea of profile/shape…How would this rudder compare with stock class 030 rudder as well as the Elliptical class rudder?

Attachments:

O30Sleeper
    Participant

I was also told by Foss Foam they built another alternative rudder for the Olson years back…which looks like this…

Attachments:

SWG
    Keymaster

The drawing is of the most recent Foss built rudder. Note that there is a mistake in the drawing, the top plane of the rudder should be square to the rudder post. The actual rudders are not like the drawing in this detail.

What rudder is in the photo in post #5197?

O30Sleeper
    Participant

Photo #5197 is a profile shot of the Olson 29 (#27) Water Rat Larry Tuttle rudder seen in posting #5186
    I’m unclear on the mistake in the rudder pictured in #5199? Pictured here is the rudder used by Jiri and Jason for comparison…

Attachments:

SWG
    Keymaster

The drawing in post 5199, I just noticed it is slightly different than the current Foss rudder – however both drawings appear to me to be done by the same person. The angle of 80° noted on the drawing is wrong. This angle is 90°. Both drawings have this mistake. Also funny how on the more recent drawing they spelled Olson wrong!

The post 5199 drawing, where did that come from?

O30Sleeper
    Participant

Interesting…both drawings came from Foss…apparently the 5199 was built for an Olson years ago and the new Foss rudder used by Jiri & Jason was originally designed for the Hobie 33. Personally I like the looks of the Larry Tuttle designed rudder but from what I heard…the price point isn’t anywhere near what the Foss Rudders are going for…

SWG
    Keymaster

Did the 5199 drawing come from Foss recently, as a result of an inquiry? Just curious more than anything (not trying to give you the 3rd degree!) Yes it’s interesting how they differ slightly.

Is the image in post 5197 an Olson 30?

O30Sleeper
    Participant

Pic 5197 is the rudder on an Olson 29. Yes.. I am in the market for a replacement offshore rudder for my boat and I inquired with Foss Foam about options…these were the two options they sent…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.