Pointing Angle

Home Forums Sailing Technical Pointing Angle

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jonathan Nye 8 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

SWG
    Keymaster

Mike Bryce posted this to the Class fb page:

This is Mike with Paloma I’m only pointing 45 degrees to the wind close hauled can anybody else out your point better than this full on back stay!
    I know this is pitiful if it wasn’t for the classic triangle courses are Yacht Club puts on I wouldn’t be anywhere other than the last place there is an j27.
    want to be able to point.
    Like the 27 is there any way possible .any of y’all out there been able to point like the 27
    Paloma Mike

This is Mike with Paloma I'm only pointing 45 degrees to the wind close hauled can anybody else out your point better…
    Posted by Mike Bryce on Saturday, November 21, 2015

• This topic was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by  SWG.

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Clearly you should be much better than that. We do a lot of mixed fleet racing and feel we get on fine.

Is this a problem in all wind strengths? Or certain wave conditions? How old are your sails? You mention backstay… You getting enough tension when conditions warrant? How much backstay purchase do you have? Next time how about taking a halyard forward, tensioning it and taking a picture to share how much sag you’ve got.

Balance is important to pointing. Are you using enough main leach tension? And when you do, is the boat balanced? Are you sailing with max weight when called for?

Where are you and is there any chance you can get a local sailmaker to come out?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.