Asymmetric spinnaker setup; looking for used headsails

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Asymmetric spinnaker setup; looking for used headsails

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  stn2stn 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

stn2stn
    Participant

Hello,

Is anyone out there using an asym spinnaker on their O30? I was thinking of adding an A-frame type carbon bowsprit or deck mounted pole from Selden for such a setup, maybe with a code 0 sail or something that can run a little deeper. I would use it for light air daysailing with the family. Any thoughts or examples?

I’m also looking for used headsails for use with a headfoil. Thanks.

SWG
    Keymaster

We have a home-made sprit which was fabricated from an old spinnaker pole and uses a Selden ring / bracket. It’s used with a code 0 and an A2. I investigated the Trogear bowsprits and they seem very good but the solution we ended up with was made for chump change so that was a plus. I can post some photos in the next couple days. The code 0 is a great sail in the right conditions. We have it on a Selden continuous furler.

Syd
    Participant

An Asym on a trogear sprit is my general set up for single handing and day sailing on my 29. I use a Harken reflex top down furler all the time. This system gnerally works great and torsion line transmit twist effectively without loading or backspin. With this system, it is pretty easy to for me handle the asym spinnaker upto 20 knots or so. It is also a lot easier when sailing with folks who are uncomfortable working on the bow. A purpose designed asym for the 30 is likely to be smaller in area than a symmetrical class spinnaker and probably not as fast under most conditions. It maybe faster under certain reaching angles. The top down furler works well but you can screw it up and there is a bit of a learning curve. Sometime the o ring pull jams the mechanism and if the right amount tension is not put on the sheets, the furl will not be tight. if it is going to be decently windy/choppy I will tape the o ring in position before leaving the dock once I have attached the sail. With an initial rail side launch, I can set,fly, and furl the kite from the cockpit. I do not have much problems with inside gybes and it allows me to fly the kite alone without a ton of drama, so I like it. I also have a code zero on a bottom up furler, but I use that much less than I expected. When its light the 150 works and points a bit better so I have found the useful window for the sail (0-5 knots) is small and it can be overpowered quickly. The one advantage it does have as the area I sail in can have big wind speed variations. So I sometimes use it in the lee area and when the winds pipes up as I round an island I can roll it up and go to a blade quickly. When I turn around to head downwind I can either use the Code zero (works OK but not great) or go forward and swap to the asymmetrical. I would not get the code 0 if I head to do it again. Hope this helps

Syd
    Participant

Photo of my set up. I had the sprit custom painted white.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

stn2stn
    Participant

Thanks for your responses and the photo.

SWG – could you post a few photos? I was thinking of the same kind of setup using a Selden bracket on the bow and an old pole. I would be interested to see how you attached the aft end of the pole to the deck when in use. Thanks.

SWG
    Keymaster

Most of these photos are from the mocking up process. A couple are the done job. The Selden ring is fastened directly to the hull, I played with ideas for a bracket but it fits nicely directly on the hull just behind the centre bar of the pulpit.

The sprit was made from the original spinnaker pole that came with the boat. It’s cut down to about 50+” long and the ends are flipped opposite each other. The inboard end clips into a re-purposed spinnaker pole ring and that slides on a piece of track on the deck. There is a bobstay which you need with the Code 0. That is a a bit of a work in progress making that easy to connect and remove.

The furler is a Selden CX15. We use an A2 and a Code 0.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

stn2stn
    Participant

Excellent information. Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.