mods for R2AK 2019 prep

Home Forums Projects, Tips & Tricks mods for R2AK 2019 prep

Tagged: 

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  beardog 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

beardog
    Participant

Hello Olson 30 community,

Really have enjoyed all the info on the site and forums. I recently bought #129 soon to be “Dazed and Confused” and am doing some work to get her ready for one or more R2AK races. Our current plan includes:

– replacing the (likely original) standing rigging with compact strand wire cable
    – moving the shrouds to the top of the mast
    – replacing the single spreader with a wider one from Buzz Ballinger
    – considering BOD/jockstraps
    – pedal drive to augment the rowing stations that the previous owners had built for previous R2AK

Have read all the posts on “Boat Setup” really appreciate all the info and projects that has been shared. If anyone had any additional thoughts on either what we are doing or any of the following we’d greatly appreciate any comments including on:

– necessity of BOD or any other cost effective solution that preserves headroom (we’ll have five crew for 6+ days)
    – like the BOD work on “The Source” if anyone has contact info for that owner
    – Baby stay – keep or delete?
    – other comments?

Thanks!

“Beardog”

SWG
    Keymaster

With a masthead rig the babystay can help you bend the mast – which is probably why the O30 has one. Most people have gotten rid of them but on our boat we are putting it back. For course racing it can be a pain but if you’re sailing upwind in a lot of breeze and for long stretches I think it’s useful.

I am making a BOD something like “The Source” at the moment. I think we will be able to make more than one if you’re interested. I think that BOD is the best looking one I have ever seen, and I have seen many and looked at photos of most of them that have been installed.

Good luck with your preparations. Did you buy the old “Hot Mess”?

R2AK – Hot Mess takes on the Race To Alaska 2016

beardog
    Participant

Thanks for the reply SWG. Appreciate the comments on the babystay and the scenario you describe is one we may well need it for.

Regarding the BOD, we’d definitely be interested. I’ve talked to CCI regarding their carbon BOD and the price they are quoting actually very reasonable for carbon-work we’re getting way over our budget (I know, welcome to sailboat ownership). I was wondering if “The Source” owner had cad files for what they had done. But regardless, would love to talk about it. What’s the best way to connect? It doesn’t look like the forums support direct messages but maybe I haven’t figured it out.

No this isn’t the “Hot Mess” boat although we loved watching their video. We bought our from a team (and great group of humans), Lagopus, out of North Vancouver. Here’s their story from last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGVaTB4Ik10

And I should have stated, we’re (mostly) located in Seattle and would love to connect with any local Olson 30 owners/crew.

SWG
    Keymaster

CCI is the outfit in Ottawa, yes? What are they charging for the BOD? I think they made them for marineoutfitters.ca in the past, this is a business owned by Dave Wilby who was responsible for bringing many Olson 30’s to Lake Ontario.

I have rudimentary CAD files for the BOD we are making. The owner of The Source is difficult to get a hold of and not very online, he’s an old-timer. His BOD is a great design but it’s overkill in a few places and a bit of a weird design because it was heavily modified from the original – it once had a horizontal beam and now has an arced beam but the end plates did not change. So I think starting from that concept but with the arced beam will make a better end result. I’ll see if we have photos of the wood mockup that we made.

SWG
    Keymaster

Fun video.

beardog
    Participant

Ah interesting.
    Quote was CAD$1300 + tax + shipping.
    Probably a good deal for carbon work but still pricey once you factor in the other work we are doing, tax, shipping etc.

SWG
    Keymaster

The aluminum BOD I am making will be (I think) less than half of that. Should be around $500CAD including powdercoating. Will post some photos soon.

beardog
    Participant

@SWG I’m definitely interested.
    I’m in “get it done mode” as we want to get our projects done and get sailing. Any idea of timeframe?
    What’s the best way for us to connect live?

SWG
    Keymaster

Here are some photos of the BOD mockup. The end plates of the mockup are wood, actual BOD will be 5/16″ or 3/8″ aluminum. Mockup beam is 1″ x 3″ x .125″ aluminum tubing, good chance this will change to 2″ x 2″ x .250″ tube. The 1″x 3″ tube was difficult to roll the hard way without deforming. There will be one more soft mockup prior to making a prototype. One of the photos is the original idea which would be made form carbon over foam but this idea was dropped.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

SWG
    Keymaster

Here is the updated drawing after looking at measurements taken from the mockup session. The left side of the drawing is the STBD side from the front, looking aft. The right side is the STBD side from the rear, looking forward. The jock cables and vertical cable are indicated. The endplates are drawn in black and beam in sliver for clarity but the whole unit would be painted either silver or black. The mint green thing on the left is a G10 reinforcement plate for the bulkhead, the landing surface for the chainplate hardware on our boat is compressed and these plates will correct that issue.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

beardog
    Participant

Looks great! I’ll reply in email.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.