Olson Inboard vs Outboard Engine

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Olson Inboard vs Outboard Engine

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ducano07 1 year ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

AlteredReality
    Participant

I have been interested in buying an Olson 30. It appears that there are both inboard and outboard engines. It seems that many of the inboards have been converted to outboards. What is the rational for this? It seems like converting a boat to on outboard would be a lot of work so there must be some reason.

Thanks
    steve

Thomas Bolland
    Participant

The inboard is much slower with the additional weight and more importantly – prop drag. The outboard can be removed and stored in the boat. If the main purpose is club racing and one design – the outboard is the way to go.

SWG
    Keymaster

My boat has an inboard. There were not many inboard boats made. We sail long distance / offshore on Lake Ontario and do some long deliveries. The inboard is much better for this than an outboard. Especially in any kind of sea the inboard is a whole lot better. One design the inboard boat is at a disadvantage.

Rvanrik

I just purchased an olson in marina del rey after racing on one for years in redondo beach. My olson had an inboard, which I initially was excited to know but I race this boat two times a week and my friends olson is .5 to .75 knots faster, so I’m taking out the motor, prop, shaft and strut, but I must say it was very nice to have but the boat is too slow if you race. So if anyone wants a great one cylinder inboard diesel engine I have one for sale cheap.

SWG
    Keymaster

What kind of inboard motor does (did?) your boat have?

ducano07

The horsepower rating of outboard motors may be lower than that of inboard engines. Because they use less power to propel the boat so they may also use less gasoline. Outboards have a shorter lifespan than inboards, they can run around of 750 hours.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.