Spinnaker Sizes

Home Forums Sailing Technical Spinnaker Sizes

This topic contains 13 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jean Andre 9 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Jean Andre
    Participant

My Olson came with 2 spinnakers, both the same size, one in great shape and one with a couple of small tears and patches I mostly use to practice my single handling.

Both are really big chutes, I think #1 spins.

What size spinnakers do you carry? What is the wind range you fly them?

When would you go downwind with main alone?

Cheers

Ray
    Participant

I have 4- two of them are S1’s, and I have one S2. The S1’s are big (0.5oz cloth, so light to medium air only) and allow sailing ddw to almost beam reach- they’ll collapse if the apparent wind picks up and we’re reaching anywhere near the 90deg mark. The S2’s (one is 1oz, and I just bought a used 1.5oz from Bacon sails) I’ve been able to use in med to heavy air (which is why I bought the 1.5oz kite) and can carry them considerably higher wind angles- maybe 40deg off the wind.

Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Size should be about the same for all spinnakers, except maybe a 1.5 oz.

That said, the shape is the determining factor for a reacher or runner. Talk to your favorite sailmaker.

Attached is my latest spin measurements. It is a S2+ (plus is for built to 20 true).6 oz material

Jonathan Nye
    Participant

Ray said 1 hour, 29 minutes ago:
    I have 4- two of them are S1′s, and I have one S2. The S1′s are big (0.5oz cloth, so light to medium air only) and allow sailing ddw to almost beam reach- they’ll collapse if the apparent wind picks up and we’re reaching anywhere near the 90deg mark. The S2′s (one is 1oz, and I just bought a used 1.5oz from Bacon sails) I’ve been able to use in med to heavy air (which is why I bought the 1.5oz kite) and can carry them considerably higher wind angles- maybe 40deg off the wind.

Nomenclature varies but I use S1 to refer to a light air VMG chute. It is relatively small to help it fly in light air. Can be a pole forward chute when needed or pole back once TWS reaches 7 knots. Depends also on sea state with the S1 more used in sloppy conditions. S2 is the AP runner for 7 to 18 knots while the S4 is for 18+ TWS.

FWIW… My S2 is Airx 600 (0.6oz) and the S4 is Airx 700 (0.75oz).

Ray
    Participant

You’re right, Jonathan- I got the S1-S2 backwards.

Jean Andre
    Participant

Thanks for the info guys.
    Bruce thanks for the measurements.
    I am working on getting a nice boat for a 2015 Solo Mas, 2016 Bermuda 1-2 and 2017/8 Singlehanded Transpac… So far 2014 will be the year to become the boat´s best friend :D

Jean Andre
    Participant

Hi Bruce,
    You say the spinnakers should be the same size only the cloth weight changing, wouldn’t ´t´his overpower the boat on higher wind ranges?
    When would you not use your spinnaker and sail under main only?

Bruce Hubble
    Participant

Clarifying: yeah..carry a 1.5 oz. It typically has narrowed shoulders and is for higher wind ranges and reduces rolling. All others: full measurements.

Main only? Never! :)

Reality…25 true you start weighing several things: crew ability, waves, etc. Single handed in swells is one thing. Crashing over mountains is another; you have to reduce speed. A chicken chute (1.5) is pretty much bullet proof. You stay until you are not comfortable. Reef and a #3 can be fast after that. Main only…have to be pretty bad.

Ray
    Participant

Jean- are you really thinking about the Bermuda 1-2? It’s this coming year (2015)- I’d love to have company!

Jean Andre
    Participant

Thanks Bruce that makes a lot of sense.

Ray,
    I am really thinking about it. Are you think to do it single handed or double?
    My initial plan is to do it single, but probably the 2017 one, since it is biannually and I wanted to do some practice with the Olson before… Probably one or two Mac Challenges. I am from St. Louis, MO. where are you?

you can e-mail me at jeanbrzdezign gmail

Ray
    Participant

I am doing the 2015 B1-2, but not yet signed up. I’m going to wait until maybe 6 months beforehand, then enter. I’m about as committed as you can get, however.. the way I’ve been investing in this boat- both time and money, so it’s now or never. If the weather seriously deteriorates, either before or shortly after the start, I’ll turn around. I’m giving this a 2-time mental commitment (2015 and 2017). I won’t go if the conditions are nasty before the start or will turn around after one day if needbe. I already know I tend to get quite goofy if I don’t get enough sleep, so I figure it’s the safe thing to do. I can’t give 3 weeks for the whole race, so my plan is to hang out for a couple days, rest up, then sail back to Charleston, where we currently live (South Carolina, not West Virginia!).

Ray

Jean Andre
    Participant

I like your plan, it is the same as mine. I plan on doing if the conditions are acceptable to my comfort. I am not sure I understood, you are not thinking about finishing the race? I Plan on doing the whole race and I will probably plan some sort of charity sail back where I will be auctioning a crew spot for the return trip…. I still don´t´know exactly how… So I do not have to sail back solo too…

Ray
    Participant

I wish I could– but work begs my hasty return. Doesn’t it always boil down to that? Work, work, work.. Kinda sucks, but such is life (until I can retire)! I’ve got two good friends on stand-by that I’ll fly out to help me bring the boat back home. That’s my plan.

Jean Andre
    Participant

Hehehehe…. Sounds like a cool plan and a nice “vacation”!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.