Trailer set-up

Home Forums General Olson 30 Discussions Trailer set-up

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  SWG 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

CTO30Sailor

Are there any specs available on trailer set-up i.e., bunk height?

Practical insights appreciated as well.

SWG
    Keymaster

What do you mean by ‘bunk height’?

CTO30Sailor

Trying to avoid overspecification but “bunk height” is a catchall for the combination of height and span between bunks, which varies from fore to aft.

Is there an optimal configuration for where the bunks should support the hull?

Are there any standard or recommended specifications?

SWG
    Keymaster

OK. You’re calling the things that support the hull ‘bunks’. I’ve never heard them called bunks before. I would call them pads.

I’ve seen so many trailers over the years, scores of configurations. I can try to dig through photos and find more references of what are proper trailers. Lots of improvised, adapted stuff out there. The trailer for our boat was professionally built and is one of the best I’ve seen. It’s correctly long at the stern, the boat should not overhang the trailer but most do. On this trailer the only change I would make is shortening the posts slightly so it’s easier to remove the pads for hull painting – we remove one pad at a time to paint the anti-fouling in the spring.

Maybe you can use this image at scale to get rough measurements.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

SWG
    Keymaster

Another trailer I’d use for reference is this one, it’s custom built for ‘The Source’ and has some really great details. I love how the support struts are adjustable so you can move the pads in and out. Looks very expensive to build. I have lots of photos of this trailer. Even this one is not long enough at the stern, ends well short of the transom.

Attachments:

SWG
    Keymaster

‘Source’ trailer uses two pads (aka bunks) at the front instead of the single vee-shaped one. I don’t think there’s any big benefit to either setup.

Attachments:

CTO30Sailor

Thank you, helpful – very nice looking boats and trailers.

Those are indeed pads; what I’m dealing with are two pads/bunks – one on each side – that run most of the length of the hull.

SWG
    Keymaster

I understand what you mean now. I have never seen an Olson 30 trailer of that style.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.